Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The second nor’easter to hit Long Island in less than a week dumped nearly nine inches of heavy, wet snow on parts of the region Wednesday and also caused strong winds, power outages and flooding.The National Weather Service reported that the highest snowfall accumulation on LI was in Oakdale, which got 8.9 inches. Amounts varied widely from town to town, with nearby Sayville getting 2.2 inches. In Nassau County, snowfall ranged from 6 inches in Roslyn to 2.5 inches in Oyster Bay. PSEG Long Island reported nearly 20,000 customers without power as of 9 a.m. Thursday.“Due to the recent heavy snowfall across parts of the region, many secondary roadways remain snow covered,” Up-based NWS forecasters said in a statement. “Motorists are advised to allow extra travel for the morning commute. In addition, the heavyweight of the snow may bring down tree limbs and power lines.”The highest snowfall amounts in the tri-state area were in Connecticut and the Lower Hudson Valley, which got 26 inches. Peak wind gusts on LI were recorded at 53 mph on Great Gull Island and 46 mph in Bayville. Widespread reports of flooding in coastal communities occurred throughout the storm. Besides traffic delays, the storm also caused Long Island Rail Road issues when downed utility wires and trees blocked the tracks.Now that the storm has passed, mostly sunny skies with temperatures in the 40s are forecast through the weekend, although there’s a 40-percent chance of more rain and snow Monday.
Donald Trump blamed China’s response to the coronavirus outbreak on a desire to see him lose in November, as the US president intensified efforts to fault Beijing for his reelection challenges.Trump — speaking in an Oval Office interview with Reuters published Wednesday — didn’t provide evidence to support the claim that China would deliberately mishandle an outbreak that has killed more than 4,600 of its citizens. The president said that he was considering various ways to punish the Chinese government, which he has blamed for allowing the virus to spread across the world.“China will do anything they can to have me lose this race,” Trump said in the interview. He didn’t say what punitive actions he might take, but added: “There are many things I can do.” Trump also said during the interview that the US trade deal with China had been “upset very badly” by the economic fallout from the coronavirus crisis. The slowdown has made it more difficult for China to meet purchasing pledges included in a “phase one” trade pact reached between the two sides in January.Officials in Washington and Beijing have been firing charges at each other for weeks as the US became one of the countries hardest-hit by a disease first identified in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. The dispute has complicated global efforts to mount a coordinated response to the virus, with US officials emphasizing Chinese responsibility for failing to stop its spread.Republicans have been ratcheting up efforts to paint China as the villain, as Trump faces increased criticism of his handling of a crisis that has pushed the US economy toward recession. Some 55 percent of Americans disapprove of Trump’s handling of the pandemic, according to an NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll released Wednesday, while other surveys show the president trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden nationally and in key swing states.China helped escalate the blame game with the US in March when a foreign ministry spokesman shared speculation on social media that American military personnel introduced the virus to Wuhan. While Trump has held off from the calling the pathogen that causes Covid-19 the “Chinese virus,” his campaign sent out a letter earlier this month accusing the country of “lying” about the outbreak.Earlier Wednesday, US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said that China posed a threat to the world by hiding information about the origin of the coronavirus. The comments came after state broadcaster China Central Television’s top evening news program questioned the transparency and accuracy of US data on Covid-19 infections.“The Chinese Communist Party now has a responsibility to tell the world how this pandemic got out of China and all across the world, causing such global economic devastation,” Pompeo told Fox News in an interview in which he repeatedly criticized Beijing. “America needs to hold them accountable.”Topics :
Home boy and defending champion, Aruna Quadri, has put the disappointment of the ITTF Africa Cup behind him. He would aim to emulate Egypt’s Omar Assar as the only player to have defended his title at this tournament.During the opening press conference on Tuesday August 6, Quadri, who is seeded number one in the men’s singles, said he would not be playing under any pressure as he aims to give his best and make Nigeria proud.Also in for the title is Belgium’s Cedric Nuytinck from whom many fans here expect surprises because aspects of his play appear unconventional even as he is famous for being a player for the big occasion such as the Nigeria Open.Slovenia’s Bojan Tokic, known in table tennis fandom as “the gentle giant”, is also here. The 38-year-old Slovak is expected to delight with his tricky style of play which usually confuse opponents.Robert Gardos, 40, is considered one of the hardest working players in the world even at that age. Gardos, a finalist at the 2019 Hungarian Open, is another star to watch out for here.In the women category, Slovakia’s Barbora Balazova leads the pack as the Southpaw aims for a title away from Europe.On the pecking order is Russia’s Polina Mikhailova. The 32-year-old is looking for her first title in Africa.African champion and winner of the just concluded ITTF Africa Cup, Dina Meshref, hopes to reclaim her title this year, having missed the 2018 edition.25-year-old Yana Noskova will want to use the tournament to shape up for the European season, even as the Russian would aim to garner points qualification to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Japan.All 32 seeded players in the men and 16 seeded in the women singles will be in action.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Top seeds in the men and women singles will take to the table today as the main draw of the 2019 ITTF Challenge Plus Nigeria Open enters the third day – after the preliminaries in which unseeded players slugged it out to eliminate each other for places in the main draw.These upcoming players in the game would now test their mettle against some of the top seeds in the first round of the tournament.Excitement continues to build among thousands of fans thronging the Molade Okoya-Thomas Hall venue of the tournament inside the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos.Seven titles are at stake in this elite tournament on African soil with $60,000 prize money up for grabs.