Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
He added: “My strategy is only one, to get the second position and try and win the FA Cup. After this we start to work for next year.” One player City have been linked heavily with this week is Shakhtar Donetsk’s £20million-rated Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho. Mancini downplayed the rumour when asked about it at his press conference to preview this weekend’s Premier League trip to Swansea, saying he expected the summer market to be competitive. He said: “I don’t know this. We can talk about Fernandinho. Fernandinho is a good player but he plays for Shakhtar. I don’t think there are a lot of good players (available) around the world. There are also four or five top teams who want to buy good players. It could be difficult.” With any new arrivals there could be departures and several City players have been linked with possible exits. Winger Scott Sinclair has been linked with a return to his former club Swansea and Mancini has conceded his future could lie elsewhere. The 24-year-old has struggled to catch the eye of Mancini and started just three games since his £6.2million move from the Liberty Stadium last August. Mancini said: “This situation with Sinclair is difficult because I didn’t give him a lot of chances to play. He is very unlucky. It is my fault, not his fault. A young player like Scott who is a good player deserves to play always. “For him, it was a really difficult year this year.” Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini intends to keep his summer recruitment plans under wraps until the end of the season. Having been dethroned as champions by rivals Manchester United, City could make major squad changes in the close season a bid to reclaim lost ground next term. Mancini missed on all his prime transfer targets last year and eventually made a series of mostly disappointing signings late in the summer window. He may want to move more decisively and earlier this time but, with numerous names being linked with the Etihad Stadium, he is not divulging much information. Mancini even joked that he may not be the right person ask, given the amount of speculation there has been over his own future throughout the season. He said: “You want to speak with me, with Pellegrini, with Guardiola, with Mourinho, with who?” Press Association
The university’s undergraduate admission center and enrollment services team mailed out acceptance letters Tuesday night to more than 45,000 Trojan hopefuls.The acceptance rate for this year’s applicants was 19.6 percent, down from 20 percent from last year. The admitted students come from more than 3,100 different high schools across the world. One out of every nine students accepted is the first in their family to attend college.According to the university’s Office of Undergraduate Admission office, the newly admitted students have diverse backgrounds. Sixty-four percent of the students from the class of 2017 are students of color, while international students comprise 17 percent of the admitted students.Many students come from California. Other highly represented states include Texas, Illinois, New York, Washington and Massachusetts. Most of the admitted international students hail from China, South Korea, India, Canada and Singapore.The students have high academic accolades and achievements, according to the USC Undergraduate Office of Admission The standardized test scores of 75 percent of the admitted students were in the 95th percentile; in addition, the average admitted student had an unweighted high school grade point average of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale. The accepted students also took an average of six to eight advanced placement classes during their time in high school.Admitted students have until May 1 to accept the admission decision.
He was strong enough to walk away from the incident without reacting, but the issue of racism in sport and across British society has risen to the fore once more.Klopp is pleased to see offenders being singled out and punished and has hailed Sterling’s handling of a situation that has thrust him back under a media spotlight.The German coach told reporters: “I watched the game and I think I saw the situation where he went for the corner and a few guys where shouting.“I didn’t hear, I don’t know if it was possible to, but I thought his reaction was just brilliant. You saw his face. He gave the right response not to react to these people.“They don’t deserve any reaction, they don’t deserve any respect. I am obviously not surprised that these things still happen and they will not stop only because we talk about them, but I like the fact that we put the finger on it and say ‘you cannot say what you want’.“We had similar situations in Germany and other countries, Italy with [Kevin Prince] Boateng when he stopped the game because of the things people shouted from the stands.“There need to be punishments for things like this. As long as people are silly enough to do this, they need to be punished for it, that’s how it is.“What I like is, I am sure 95 per cent of people are not like this so we should try to find the right amount of attention for them. Punish them but do not talk too much about them because they do not deserve that we talk about them.”Sterling has received widespread support on the back of the abuse he received in west London, both for his reaction at the time and for his willingness to raise awareness of the issues he has to put up with. He posted on social media in the aftermath of the incident, while referencing the coverage City team-mates Tosin Adarabioyo and Phil Foden have received for recent property purchases – with the former having it pointed out that he has “never started a Premier League match” while latter is described as having “set up a future” when buying a house for his mother.“You have two young players starting out their careers – both play for the same team, both have done the right thing, which is buy a new house for their mothers who have put in a lot of time and love into helping them get where they are. Jurgen Klopp has offered his support to the cause of former Liverpool star Raheem Sterling, with the Manchester City winger having been subjected to alleged racist abuse during a clash with Chelsea.The England international found himself targeted by a group of Blues supporters during a Premier League fixture at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Getty/Goal composite https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/GOAL/b1/4/raheem-sterling-gfx_1h2ibpsodv48517k973pooixwk.jpg?t=-1832042841&w=500&quality=80 “But look at how the newspapers get their message across for the young black player and then for the young white player.“I think this is unacceptable, both innocent, have not done a thing wrong but just by the way it has been worded, this young black kid is looked at in a bad light, which helps fuel racism and aggressive behaviour.”Leading figures from across the sporting world, both inside the Kick It Out campaign and from further afield, have aired their support for Sterling and condemned those who continue to make racism a subject of social debate in the 21st century.
Ronald Acuña Jr. has been taken out of the biggest game yet for watching a potential HR turned single. This will be a GOOD LESSON for a young player with TONS of talent. Snitker Cares about Ñ, THE TEAM & sends a message to everyone about playing the game the right way. #ChopOn pic.twitter.com/ysPYnUczfE— Paul Byrd (@PaulByrd36) August 18, 2019He subsequently was thrown out attempting to steal second.Adam Duvall entered the game to replace Acuña in the leadoff spot. Duvall went in to play left field, with Rafael Ortega shifting over to center. Related News Acuña certainly isn’t the first player benched for failing to hustle. But the 21-year-old star’s bat (35 home runs, .913 OPS) and defense more than make up for rare mental lapses in the field. Chris Sale injury update: Red Sox lefty goes on IL, team not sure if he’ll return this year Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury update: Blue Jays star day-to-day after injuring knee Braves manager Brian Snitker benched outfielder Ronald Acuña in the fifth inning Sunday against the Dodgers, apparently because he failed to hustle on a play earlier in the game. Joey Votto injury update: Reds place infielder (back) on 10-day IL Ronald Acuña Jr. was pulled by Braves manager Brian Snitker seemingly for not hustling out of the box in his last AB(via @FOXSportsBraves)pic.twitter.com/PDJjogFQIY— SI MLB (@si_mlb) August 18, 2019Acuña hit a ball off the wall in the third inning but paused for a few seconds to admire the blast, thinking it was a home run. He was held to a single.
Airtel will contribute a total of shs 10 billion towards the Uganda Cranes for the next 4 years that will be shs 2.5 billion every year.THIS WEEK: Airtel resumes Cranes’ sponsorshipKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Airtel Uganda has resumed sponsorship of the National Football team – the Cranes sponsorship with Shs10billion.This meant that the Telecom Company has renewed its ongoing partnership with the Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) as the official sponsor of the team for another four years. In addition to the national team that the company started sponsoring in 2013, it also sponsors the Uganda Cup and the FUFA Big League. Charles Bakkabulindi, the minister of state for sports commended Airtel. “We are grateful to see an international brand like Airtel sharing the passion and love that we have for this team by sponsoring them,” Bakabulindi said.Airtel’s Managing Director, V.G. Somasekhar said that since Airtel signed the partnership agreement with the Uganda Cranes national team, it has enjoyed a long list of successes both for the team and for the individual players. “To us, this is an indication that a strong partner that believes in you is a key component of success,” he said.Share on: WhatsApp
Norway sensation Erling Haaland dreams of Leeds gloryby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveNorway sensation Erling Haaland dreams of winning the Premier League title with Leeds United.The 19-year-old, son of former Leeds and Manchester City defender Alf-Inge, scored a hat-trick in RB Salzburg’s 6-2 win over Genk.Haaland has been linked with with Manchester United after playing under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Molde.But speaking to Norwegian newspaper Aftenpostenback in 2017, Haaland said: “I want to be the best. The dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.”As well as that, the goal is to be a better player than Dad was. I hope to get more international matches than he did.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say AFC Wimbledon part company with boss Wally Downesby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAFC Wimbledon have parted company with boss Wally Downes, two days after he was suspended for four weeks after admitting breaching Football Association rules around betting.Downes, 58, took over the Dons in December 2018 and led them to League One survival last season.However, he was suspended by the club in September after being charged with placing bets on games.The club said they had “reached an agreement” to part with Downes.A club statement said: “Wally leaves on mutually agreed terms and with our sincerest gratitude for his time with the club, especially his invaluable contribution last season.”The agreement was reached with the approval of the Dons Trust board.”
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith (left) conversing with Secretary General, CARICOM and the Caribbean Forum of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (CARIFORUM) Ambassador Irwin LaRocque, during the meeting of the CARIFORUM Post-Cotonou Caucus of Ministers at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston on April 14. Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith (right) addressing the Caribbean Forum of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (CARIFORUM) Post-Cotonou Caucus of Ministers at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston on April 14. At right is Director General, CARIFORUM, Percival Marie.
zoom More than 230 cruise ships are expected to transit the Panama Canal during the 2016-2017 cruise season, which begins on October 4, 2016 with the transit of the Coral Princess, on a voyage from Los Angeles, California, to the U.S. East Coast.“We expect the major cruise lines will use the Panama Canal route during the cruise season, which lasts until April 2017,” said international trade specialist Albano Aguilar of the Vice Presidency for Planning and Business Development.Similar to previous years, the main cruise lines, including Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruise Line and Norwegian Cruise Line, will offer itineraries with full or partial transits through the Panama Canal.Smaller cruise ships will also transit through the waterway, including the Voyager Safari and National Geographic Sea Lion, with shorter seven- and eight-day itineraries, respectively, along the west coast of Central America.During this season, Regent Seven Seas, Holland America Line and Noble Calidonia will have ships transiting with new itineraries through the Canal. Regent Seven Seas Explorer will transit on January 2, 2017, Holland America Line’s Eurodam on April 13, 2017, and Noble Calidonia’s Hebridean Sky on April 17, 2017.After completing more than 160 successful transits through the new locks, the Panama Canal is now accepting booking requests for Neopanamax passenger vessels for transit dates beginning April 1, 2017. To date, 11 reservations have been made for passenger vessels to transit the Expanded Canal starting October 2017, for the 2017-2018 season.