Hancock County sending 6 teams to regional tennis playoffs

first_imgELLSWORTH — Hancock County is sending six of its 10 high school tennis teams to this year’s Northern Maine playoffs.George Stevens Academy produced two Class C North playoff squads yet again this season with the boys and girls earning byes to the quarterfinals. The No. 2 girls (10-2) will host either No. 7 Van Buren (8-2) or No. 10 Penobscot Valley (4-8) at 2 p.m. tomorrow, May 29, and the third-ranked boys (9-3) will host No. 6 Houlton (7-5) or No. 11 Fort Kent (4-8) at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, May 30.Elsewhere in Class C North, the Deer Isle-Stonington boys made the playoffs for the eighth year in a row with a 10th-place finish in the Heals. The Mariners (3-9) play on the road against No. 7 Calais (8-4) at 3 p.m. tomorrow in the preliminary round.In Class B North, the 10th-ranked Ellsworth boys (5-7) will play will play a road prelim match against No. 7 Old Town (6-6) at 3:30 p.m. today. The No. 2 Ellsworth girls’ team (10-2) has earned a bye to the quarterfinals, where it will host either No. 7 Washington Academy (6-6) or No. 10 Medomak Valley at 3:30 p.m. Thursday.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe No. 8 Mount Desert Island girls (5-7) will host ninth-ranked Presque Isle (7-6) at 4:30 p.m. today. The Trojans are led by Regitze Jacobsen, who made it all the way to Monday’s semifinals in the state singles tournament.Quarterfinal and semifinal matches are set to continue throughout the week. Regional title matches are scheduled for Tuesday, June 4, at Bates College.last_img read more

South Africa’s current account deficit narrows

first_img19 June 2014 South Africa’s current account deficit narrowed to 4.5% of gross domestic product (GDP) in the first quarter from a shortfall of 5.1% in the last quarter of 2013, the Reserve Bank said on Wednesday. “As a ratio of GDP, the deficit on the current account narrowed to 4.5%,” the central bank in its June Quarterly Bulletin. Market expectation had been for the deficit to widen to 6.1%. According to the bulletin, the annualised shortfall on the trade account widened to R75-billion in the first quarter from R45-billion in the fourth quarter of 2013. “The deficit on the services, income and current transfer account with the rest of the world narrowed considerably on account of notably lower net dividend payments to non-resident investors. The contraction in the deficit on this account more than neutralised the deterioration in the trade balance,” the bulletin noted. Nedbank said the improvement in the current account deficit was encouraging, adding that it could narrow further during the remainder of this year as global conditions continued to improve. “However, this will require a normalisation of production activity in the platinum sector and avoidance of further crippling disruptions in the local economy,” Nedbank added.Domestic expenditure grows 2.7% Meanwhile, spending in the country showed growth of 2.7% in the first quarter, the Reserve Bank’s bulletin shows. “[In] contrast to the contraction observed in domestic production in the first quarter of 2014, real gross domestic expenditure switched from negative growth at an annualised rate of 3.6% in the fourth quarter of 2013 to positive growth of 2.7% in the first quarter of 2014.” According to the bulletin, the acceleration was brought about by a moderation in the de-stocking of real inventories, while growth in all the components of final demand lost some momentum over the period. “The slower pace of inventory de-accumulation made the strongest contribution to growth in real gross domestic product in the first quarter of 2014.” Growth in real final consumption expenditure by households moderated for the eighth time in nine consecutive quarters. It grew at 1.8% from an annualised 2% rate in the fourth quarter of 2013. The ratio of household debt to disposable income edged down slightly to 74.5% from 74.6%. Nedbank said growth in domestic demand was likely to remain lacklustre in the second quarter as household finances remained weak and the government was still committed to reducing the fiscal deficit and growth in the public sector wage bill over the medium term. “Some improvement in household spending could be experienced during the second half of the year as the strike in the platinum mining sector ends,” Nedbank said, but added: “Firms will still be wary of expanding capacity aggressively in the current weak economic environment, while high input costs, persistent labour-related disputes in some of the key industries and general infrastructure constraints continue to hurt sentiment.” Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

Will Netflix Finally Doom the Theater Industry?

first_imgThis week Netflix will release Beasts of No Nation with the intent of garnering a Best Picture nomination. Paramount is now streaming free movies on YouTube.Those headlines alone are enough to bring into question the future of digital distribution. Netflix is breaking the traditional mold of film distribution by streaming their film the day it premieres in theaters. Paramount aims to get rid of the shopping store bargain bin by offering their films to the masses for free. Let’s take a look at these significant changes to internet distribution.Netflix Aims for a Best Picture Academy AwardThe Netflix original film Beasts of No Nation will be released on October 16th. The film has received tons of praise, which brings its Academy Award eligibility into question.Traditionally, films are first released in theaters. Then, 90 days later, they are available for purchase online, streamed, or in disc format. With Beasts of No Nation, Netflix is bypassing the 90 day window and streaming the film immediately.In doing so, the film has been boycotted by the four largest cinema chains; AMC, Regal, Cinemark, and Carmike. (If you’re curious on how behind the times cinema chains are, just look at Carmike’s homepage.)Image: Abraham Attah and director Cary Joji Fukunaga at TIFF via Maher FilmsThe Academy Awards rulebook notes that qualifying films must open in Los Angeles County and run for at least one week. Any “nontheatrical” releases are allowed simultaneously, which means that streaming the film at the same time will follow the guidelines. The film is scheduled to screen in Landmark Theaters and smaller chains like the Alamo Drafthouse. (Landmark has three theaters in LA County.)This is not the first time Netflix has tried to win an Oscar. Their documentaries Virunga and The Square were both nominated for Best Documentary Feature. However, this time the company has their eyes set on one of the largest categories. A nomination alone will have a major impact on film distribution.  Director Cary Joji Fukunaga had some hesitations with selling the film to Netflix, as he wanted to ensure the film saw a theatrical release. Netflix proved to have no issues with his demands, and encouraged a theatrical release to allow them to achieve an Oscar nomination. In this video, Fukunaga discusses the early meetings with Netflix. Amazon Follows Traditional DistributionAmazon Studios is also working on original films, currently finishing post-production on Spike Lee‘s Chi-Raq. Chi-Raq is scheduled for a traditional December theatrical release. Amazon intends to work with the major theater chains before eventually releasing the film themselves on Amazon Instant Video.Amazon believes in this model so much, they are already planning to release 12 films a year. In comparison, Netflix only has 11 films slated over the next two years. However, Netflix appears to be winning over critics and writers. With the instant release, Netflix films seem to have much more exclusivity – which should in turn drive up new membership.With Amazon’s delay to stream, there is no real incentive to purchase a Prime membership strictly for Instant Video. If their films turn out to be a major success, many viewers will first see the film in theaters as opposed to waiting 90 days.Paramount Opens the VaultParamount Pictures has created a new YouTube channel, The Paramount Vault. The Vault doesn’t only offer popular film clips, but a huge selection of films from their catalog.While the videos are not their high-profile films, they aren’t their worst films either. Many of the videos have sat in bargain bins in retail and grocery stores. By putting them on YouTube, the films can at least earn ad revenue for Paramount.The channel gives fans the opportunity to discover and watch titles that may not be readily available anywhere else and because of the vast richness of our library we can regularly change and update the selections. – Amy Reinhard, President of Paramount’s Worldwide Television & Home Media Acquisitions The Future of Digital DistributionFor years, people have asked it online streaming and distribution would break the theater model. If Netflix manages to earn a nomination in a major category, then it has already happened. You can see it now, as theater chains realize that they must provide an elevated experience. Popcorn and sticky floors aren’t going to cut it anymore. When the home audience has amazing television sets, the theaters must update their equipment too. This not only includes projectors and screens, but food, service, and seating as well. Many chains now offer luxurious recliners, just to literally get butts in the seats.Perhaps the biggest effect on the industry will be the ratings system. The MPAA ratings system has been incredibly controversial over the years, even being subject to a documentary. By releasing their own films on their own platform, Netflix could just issue their films as Not Rated.Finally, with Paramount releasing films for free, they will now be earning revenue off of films once considered dead. The Paramount Vault could lead to other studios releasing their old content online. Something that was always expected with digital distribution. It seems the power of filmmaking is finally reverting back to the studios, especially those who embrace their consumers.What are your thoughts on the future of digital distribution? Let us know in the comments below.last_img read more

‘Beast mode’ Maraño named league ambassador

first_img“That’s my personality. I’m very vocal especially when I think I’m on the side of the truth,” Maraño told the Inquirer. The 24-year-old is playing for F2 Logistics in the coming PSL Grand Prix. “I speak out no matter what.”With almost 200,000 Twitter followers and a “Beast Mode, Don’t Care” attitude, Maraño said she hopes to inspire fellow players as well as volleyball fans to “give it their best and show the detractors how strong they are.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutA member of many national teams, Maraño has proven herself not only on the court where she stood her ground against taller, foreign players, but also against social media trolls who attacked the Philippine squad and the PSL.“Maybe it’s because I once defended the PSL against trolls, there was a time when I made a stand against so-called fans who were out of line,” said Maraño . QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort College leagues form sports ‘super group’ Aby Marano of F2 Logistics formally accepted the role as PSL Ambassador from Mika Reyes of PetronFor its latest ambassador, Philippine Superliga wanted somebody who represents “girl power, sisterhood and strength.”The league found all that—and more—in feisty middle blocker Aby Maraño.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:03Russian envoy invites PH firms to explore for oil, gas in Russia01:37Russian envoy: Putin accepts Duterte’s invitation to visit PH01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Gamescenter_img Kin of Misamis Oriental hero cop to get death benefits, award — PNP Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH She herself was surprised of the PSL’s choice of image model which used to lean on the likes of former ambassadors Mika Reyes, Cha Cruz and Gretchen Ho.“When I feel there’s a need to speak up, I never hesitate, of course I have to defend my teammates,” said Maraño. Read Next View commentslast_img read more

VIDEO: 38 Days until Football Season

first_imgThe summer is coming to an end… Which means football season is just around the corner. If you aren’t excited for the season to start after watching this video, please make an appointment with your primary care physician to check your pulse. Only 38 days separates us from the most glorious time of the year.You guys ready for football season yet?Credit to Alexander Beiersdorf for the video.If you’re looking for the comments section, it has moved to our forum, The Chamber. You can go there to comment and holler about these articles, specifically in these threads. You can register for a free account right here and will need one to comment.If you’re wondering why we decided to do this, we wrote about that here. Thank you and cheers!last_img

4 days agoAFC Wimbledon part company with boss Wally Downes

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say AFC Wimbledon part company with boss Wally Downesby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAFC Wimbledon have parted company with boss Wally Downes, two days after he was suspended for four weeks after admitting breaching Football Association rules around betting.Downes, 58, took over the Dons in December 2018 and led them to League One survival last season.However, he was suspended by the club in September after being charged with placing bets on games.The club said they had “reached an agreement” to part with Downes.A club statement said: “Wally leaves on mutually agreed terms and with our sincerest gratitude for his time with the club, especially his invaluable contribution last season.”The agreement was reached with the approval of the Dons Trust board.” last_img read more