by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up LIMERICK is one of the safest places in Ireland for tourists, according to the Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) which recorded only three incidents of crimes against visitors to the city last year.This is in contrast to the 336 criminal incidents involving visitors to Dublin during the same period.Limerick Mayor Michael Sheehan said that this was “a further endorsement of the feel good factor in Limerick.These figures are genuine because any tourist who is a victim of crime will report it as they’re bound to feel isolated.Referring to the “collective cooperation that exists in the city”, the mayor said that this positive thinking was reflected in the freedom tourists enjoyed as they walk the streets.“They feel safe, comfortable and are confident to recommend Limerick as a destination. These figures are not just going to spread nationwide but this is a positivity that will go global.“Things like this is likely to encourage more visitors to come in the remaining few months of the City of Culture celebrations so I welcome that”, he added.Since its formation 20 years, almost 13,000 people have been assisted by the ITAS which is the only dedicated service of its kind in Europe.Limerick Garda Chief superintendent Dave Sheahan said the ITAS figures were a further indicator of where the city has come from and the direction it is headed.“These figures support the statistics given to the Minister for Justice on her recent visit to the city. We always avoid complacency, but this report goes a long way to show how much the landscape of crime in the city has changed and in terms of policing our streets.Tourism Minister Paschal Donohoe said that: “Irish people are world renowned for our hospitality and welcome. While many things have changed throughout those 20 years, our welcome for overseas visitors is now as friendly as ever.“Visitors are assured of a truly memorable holiday and research has shown the vast majority of our overseas visitors are more than happy to recommend Ireland as a holiday destination.“However, for a very small percentage of tourists who become victims of crime while visiting Ireland, it is reassuring to know that the Irish Tourist Assistance Service is available year-round to offer immediate support and assistance free of charge.Outside of Dublin, the main tourist centres in Wicklow, Clare, Kerrry and Galway all recorded higher incidents of crimes against visitors, according to the ITAS 2013 annual report.Meantime, the services provided to tourists who become victims of crime was one of the items discussed on the agenda of the Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality this week.Committee Chairman David Stanton TD said: “While Ireland is generally regarded as a safe destination for tourists and crimes against tourists remain low by international standards, unfortunately a number of tourists become victims of crime every year.Nationally, Mr Staunton said that “last year saw an increase in the number of tourists seeking assistance from the service, the majority of whom had been victims of theft.“For a tourist, the trauma of being a victim of crime can be compounded by language, culture and legal differences. The Irish Tourist Assistance Service acts as a base where problems facing a tourist can be addressed promptly with the view to getting holiday plans back on track”, he said. TAGSfeatured Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Advertisement Previous articleTravelling Men of ShakespeareNext articlePedestrian killed in early morning dual carriageway crash Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter First Irish death from Coronavirus No vaccines in Limerick yet Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Print Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Linkedin Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsLimerick is a safe haven for touristsBy Staff Reporter – September 26, 2014 2072 Facebook Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April WhatsApp
Lincoln Entz President Patrick Jones told Cherwell, “Hassan is a first-rate chap and I’m more than happy to share the JCR with him on a regular basis.”Second-year medic Lutfi Al-Nufoury said, “People involved in the Kebab selling world have no place in the JCR. Their place is in a little tin van down the end of the street. Hassan seems like a lovely guy and this isn’t a personal thing, I’m just against small businesses setting up camp in the JCR.”One anonymous student said, “Hassan provides a very important welfare service for Lincoln students.” Kebab vendor Hassan Elouahabi has been made an honorary member of Lincoln JCR. The motion, which stated that “Hassan’s can only be described as an Oxford institution of the utmost importance, and one that is integral to the welfare of Lincolnites”, passed on Sunday evening with only one vote against. The membership allows Hassan to use Lincoln’s JCR when he likes as well as attend and vote at meetings.Adam Montague, who proposed the motion, told the JCR, “You all know who Hassan is, he’s pretty damn awesome. I thought people could come up and share their reasoning for their undying love for him.” A number of anecdotes were then related by JCR members, with one Lincoln student recalling a gift of free chips, and another telling the college that Hassan had been “very sympathetic” when she visited the van in a moment of distress. The motion passed to loud applause. Speaking to Cherwell, Hassan Elouahabi said he was “very happy” with the decision and thanked Lincoln JCR for his membership.
Midlands and East Norfolk and Waveney Up to £0.6 million The government is also releasing £150 million to support the NHS’s work to become more efficient. This additional money will be used to: Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Jeremy Hunt said: South Hampshire and Isle of Wight Up to £10.3 million South Somerset Up to £79.4 million South Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire Up to £2 million improve the use of a digital programme that helps the NHS use its workforce better enable more efficient use of energy in hospitals, which could save the NHS £12 million a year in the first 3 years improve pharmacy IT and administration systems to reduce medication errors and improve patient safety South Devon Up to £26.2 million Region STP Scheme Value South Sussex and East Surrey Up to £19.3 million Midlands and East The Black Country Up to £3.3 million North West Yorkshire Up to £15.0 million Midlands and East Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin Up to £312 million South Gloucestershire Up to £39.5 million The funding was announced today by Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Jeremy Hunt. It is the biggest investment of its kind in the NHS in over 10 years. The NHS will spend the money on programmes to meet local demand, such as new urgent care centres and refurbishing mental health facilities.The Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin sustainability and transformation partnership (STP) will receive £300 million to transform local hospital services. It proposes to use the funding to develop an emergency care site and a separate planned care site, with 24-hour urgent care centres at both sites.The remainder of the money will be awarded to 39 smaller projects, including: South Devon Up to £13.3 million 40 NHS hospitals and community services to receive STP capital funding: South Hampshire and Isle of Wight Up to £3 million Midlands and East Milton Keynes, Bedfordshire and Luton Up to £6 million North West Yorkshire Up to £6.1 million Midlands and East Suffolk and North East Essex Up to £3.4 million London North West London Up to £2.1 million North West Yorkshire Up to £1.5 million London North West London Up to £2.1 million South Kent & Medway Up to £8.5 million North Lancashire and South Cumbria Up to £31.2 million Midlands and East The Black Country Up to £9 million London South West London Up to £9.8 million Midlands and East Suffolk and North East Essex Up to £69 million £6 million to upgrade services of 8 trusts across Yorkshire £8 million for a new health and wellbeing centre to join up local NHS services in Kent £13 million for 2 new urgent care centres in Newton Abbot and Torquay, and refurbishment of Torbay Hospital’s A&E department several million pounds for local NHS services in London, including one project worth up to £11 million London South West London Up to £2.7 million South Kent & Medway Up to £6 million As the NHS approaches its 70th birthday, we are backing it with one of the largest capital programmes in NHS history. As well as a whole new emergency care development in Shropshire, we are backing local NHS services with new buildings, beds and wards so that staff who have been working incredibly hard over winter can have confidence we are expanding capacity for the future. Further major projects are also under consideration across the country and we intend to announce one large scale scheme the size of the Shrewsbury and Telford plan every year going forward based on high-quality plans coming forward from local NHS leaders. Midlands and East Milton Keynes, Bedfordshire and Luton Up to £1.1 million London South West London Up to £2.15 million Midlands and East Derbyshire Up to £6.5 million South Kent & Medway Up to £1.5 million London South West London Up to £11.1 million South Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire Up To £7.5 million South Kent & Medway Up to £1 million North West Yorkshire Up to £2 million South Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire Up to £2 million South Kent & Medway Up to £2.5 million South Surrey Heartlands Up to £0.5 million Midlands and East Suffolk and North East Essex Up to £14.7 million South Hampshire and Isle of Wight Up to £17.5 million North Humber, Coast and Vale Up to £7.5 million London North Central London Up to £0.3 million