to go further Help by sharing this information June 18, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Algeria Receive email alerts AlgeriaMiddle East – North Africa News The daily paper Liberté reported in 2001 that a policeman in Boufarik, a small town west of Algiers, tried to get the owner of a cybercafé to note down the names and addresses of customers and the websites they connected to. The owner refused and filed a complaint. After this was reported by the media, the local police chief said it was a personal initiative of the police officer and that he had been suspended.Since then, no cases of censorship have been recorded. However, article 14 of a 1998 telecommunications decree says ISPs “must take responsibility” for the content of sites and servers they run or host. They are also required to “take all necessary steps to ensure continuous monitoring” of content and servers accessible to their customers so as to block access to “material that undermines public order and morale.”In May 2001, parliament passed an amendment to the criminal code that caused outcry among journalists. Its article 144 (b) provided for prison terms of between two months and a year and fines of between 750 euros and 3750 euros in the event of “denigration of the president through insults or defamation,” in writing, drawings or speech, through radio and TV broadcasts or electronic or computer means. Offenders can be directly prosecuted by the government without a prior complaint being filed. For repeat offenders, the punishments are doubled. These sanctions also apply to such attacks on parliament, the armed forces and any other public body. Several journalists have been given prison sentences, but the measure has not so far hampered the growth of the Internet.LINKS:- News site of Algeria Interface – The human rights group Algeria Watch- The Human rights in North Africa Organisation RSF_en Unlike in neighbouring Tunisia, the Internet in Algeria is not controlled by the authorities. Laws give the government power to regulate and even monitor it, but they have not so far been used. Follow the news on Algeria AlgeriaMiddle East – North Africa News Harassment of Algerian reporters intensifies in run-up to parliamentary elections Algeria pressures reporters by delaying renewal of accreditation News May 12, 2021 Find out more Algeria : Reporter jailed after covering Tuareg protests in southern Algeria News May 18, 2021 Find out more April 29, 2021 Find out more
Linkedin Print Advertisement WhatsApp NewsLocal NewsSean poised for finish and place in history booksBy admin – April 29, 2010 718 Facebook Twitter Previous articleGardai won’t be corrupted – NoonanNext articleSpain plays host to repeat of ‘05 and ‘06 as Munster battle Biarritz admin Email SPEAKING to the Limerick Post and with just 180 miles to the finish of his epic solo rowing voyage across the Atlantic, Limerick’s Sean McGowan is poised to be the first Irish man to complete the mammoth task of rowing the ocean.Emotional, but still able to draw on the huge support that has followed him, Sean told this journalist just what it was like as land and the finish line loomed. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “It has been much harder than I thought, my body is wrecked and mentally I am reaching the end. I’ve been away from my family for too long but I have come so far, I have to keep going. Big waves crash over the boat in my face constantly and it is like a washing machine here at times.”The “highlight” of each day comes when his wife, Lorraine, sends messages of support to his satellite phone from those that know and even those that don’t know Sean. “Lorraine would type out the messages and send them by text to the sat phone and when I was feeling low I could read them in the morning and the evening. People I don’t even know were sending messages and my brothers have been great keeping the campaign going to raise money for the charity. That has kept me going.” Battling a swirling current that has kept him perched on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, Sean notes the milestones that he must reach in order to make history. “The magic number is 59 degrees 26 minutes and when I hit that I will have crossed the Atlantic Ocean and after that it’s like threading a needle to the finish line as i have a tricky route in to follow. I am aiming to be finished by Monday but this Thursday I’m hoping to cross that magic line and make history.|. But his finish is not without danger and Sean is only too well aware of that. “Two boats have already had to be rescued after running aground on reefs. I’m still in the middle of the ocean and can see nothing but water. I’m not there yet.”With over 115 days rowing at sea, Sean will have one day to ready his boat to be shipped home when he finishes in English Harbour in Antigua. “Tuesday and Wednesday, all going well, I will get the boat ready to ship home and then I hope to land in Shannon next Friday. I will miss my daughter’s confirmation, but Lorraine will be there to support her. This has been so hard for them and I really can’t wait to get home to them”.Earlier this week, Mayor Kevin Kiely told a meeting of the city council that everyone in the city is rooting for Sean McGowan and that he will be inviting him into City Hall to a special reception when he returns to Limerick.Click the tracking image on the right to follow the final stages of Sean’s epic journey and click his profile picture on top to send messages of support to his facebook page.
Congratulations to Blake Walsman on being named All-American by both the NAIA and the NCCAA.The Batesville native finished the season averaging 21.4 ppg, 14.3 rpg, while shooting 61.4% from the floor. Walsman led the nation in rebounding & double-doubles (25) during the regular season, finished 11th in field goal percentage, and 17th in scoring per game.Blake is one of two players in NAIA DII to grab 12 offensive rebounds in a game this season. He is also one of three players to grab 19 defensive rebounds in a game this season. Walsman was able to also grab 20+ rebounds in 7 games this season.During his Junior campaign, Blake Walsman broke the CCU record for Career Rebounds (904) since joining NAIA and moved into second place All-Time in scoring for CCU (1,541) since joining NAIA.Blake Walsman ‘s 2017-18 Season AccoladesNAIA All-American (Second Team), NCCAA All-American (Third Team), River States Conference Player of the Year Runner-Up, First Team All-Conference (RSC), and First Team All-Mid-West Region (NCCAA).
By Sudipto GangulyMUMBAI, India (Reuters) – Anil Kumble has stepped down as India coach after falling out with skipper Virat Kohli, a top source in the country’s cricket board told Reuters yesterday.Kumble’s original contract expired with the team’s Champions Trophy campaign, but the former captain was tipped to get an extension after enjoying a successful run during his year in charge.“While the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) had endorsed an extension to his tenure as head coach, Anil Kumble has decided not to continue as the coach,” the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said in a statement.Last year the BCCI formed the CAC, comprising former players Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman, who chose Kumble for the job.The source confirmed the 46-year-old Kumble, who was put in charge last June, decided to step down after the breakdown of his relationship with Kohli.Local media has reported that Kohli found Kumble’s brand of coaching a bit too assertive and their relationship was beyond repair.The BCCI invited applications for the role last month and Kumble had re-applied for the same.“We wish to place on record our sincere appreciation for the immense contribution by Anil Kumble to the team which enabled India to attain the No.1 Test position,” acting BCCI secretary Amitabh Choudhary said in a statement.“Indian cricket needs his continued contribution in various capacities and wishes him all the best in his future endeavour.”In the last one year, the former leg-spinner, also India’s most successful bowler, led the country to 12 victories in 17 Tests with just one loss.He also guided India to one-day international series wins over New Zealand and England with losses coming only in a Twenty20 series against the West Indies and in last week’s Champions Trophy final, where they lost to Pakistan.Kumble is also the chairman of the International Cricket Council’s cricket committee and has stayed back in London for the world governing body’s meeting this week.He decided not to travel with the Indian side for a limited-overs tour to the West Indies, where they will play a five-match ODI series and a T20 game in the Caribbean starting on June 23.“The BCCI will continue to seek the assistance of the Cricket Advisory Committee in its search for a new head coach for the senior India men’s cricket team,” the board added.“In the interim, the BCCI has dep+uted MV Sridhar, General Manager Cricket Operations to supervise the team management for the West Indies tour.”Batting coach Sanjay Bangar and fielding coach R. Sridhar will continue in their role, the BCCI informed.