News media prevented from working by post-election violence

first_img News November 19, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 News media prevented from working by post-election violence News Follow the news on Guinea Guinean journalist finally freed after being held for nearly three months Organisation News Guinean journalist’s continuing detention is “incomprehensible,” RSF says News Guinea : RSF and AIPS call for release of two imprisoned journalists to go furthercenter_img Receive email alerts RSF_en GuineaAfrica Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders appeals for calm and respect for the media after a week in which most journalists in the capital, Conakry, have been staying indoors for fear of being targeted by activists or by the security forces in a wave of violence that began one week after the second round of the presidential election on 7 November.The Sabari FM/Le Diplomate media group stopped working on 15 November after supporters of the losing candidate, Cellou Dalein Diallo, threatened to attack it. Other news media are paralyzed as a result of the climate of violence.“By restoring calm to the Guinean capital, the state of emergency declared on 17 November will hopefully allow journalists to resume working,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We deplore the fact that journalists have been directly threatened and that this week’s violence contributed to the media’s paralysis. It is particularly disturbing that ethnicity has been used as grounds for threatening certain media with reprisals.”Several dozen Diallo supporters gathered outside the headquarters of the Sabari FM/Le Diplomate group in the Conakry district of Cosa at around 9 a.m. on 15 November and threatened to ransack it, accusing its management and journalists of supporting the election’s declared winner, Alpha Condé. At the same time, they clashed with members of the special election security units in the district, where most of the inhabitants are members of the Peul ethnic group and Diallo supporters, and where the security forces cracked down on protests with particular brutality.The Diallo supporters finally called off their plan to ransack the Sabari FM/Le Diplomate offices after mediation by the building’s owner. The group’s news media stopped operating at 11 a.m. and, since then, its journalists have not been working, like most of the country’s other journalists.A Conakry-based journalist told Reporters Without Borders: “It should be pointed out that Sabari FM invited several representatives of [the pro-Diallo alliance] to speak on the air during the campaign, so the station did make a significant effort to be balanced.”Several organizations including International Crisis Group have reported that Diallo’s supporters were themselves the targets of “systematic attacks” by the security forces when they staged their protests in reaction to the announcement that their candidate had lost.Crédit photo AFP April 15, 2021 Find out more GuineaAfrica April 9, 2021 Find out more May 19, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Limerick appeal to save ‘gay bull’ Benjy

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Linkedin Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Twitter WhatsApp Advertisement Facebook No vaccines in Limerick yet center_img Previous articleLimerick pensioners remanded on terrorism chargesNext articleInsider information Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie by Alan Jacques | [email protected] rights activist John Carmody is calling on Limerick people to help save the life of a ‘gay bull’ that is destined for slaughter because he has shown no interest in cows and has a sexual preference for other bulls.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Animal Rights Action Network (ARAN), founded by Mr Carmody, last week responded to plans to destroy Benjy, a pedigree Charolais bull, purchased for purposes of breeding by a farmer in County Mayo.ARAN has teamed up with one of the UK’s biggest online gay magazines THEGAYUK, and the Hillside Animal Sanctuary in Norwich, to save Benjy.The group has secured a deal with the owner of the bull so the animal can live out his life in peace. THEGAYUK have also launched an online campaign to raise funds to purchase the bull and transport him from Ireland to Britain and help with the lifelong cost of keeping Benjy at the animal sanctuary.John Carmody said that Benjy’s plight is not only hitting the hearts of Irish people, but people worldwide and he has spoken to media sources from far and wide including RTE Radio One and Russia Today about the campaign.“I can’t believe how international this has gone,” said Mr Carmody.ARAN program co-ordinator Jackie Fitzgerald said that Benjy’s plight had touched hearts across the globe.“Like every other animal, Benjy should be to be free of death, pain and suffering.  We hope the people of Limerick get behind the fundraising drive to raise money to save Benjy,” she said.At the time of going to press terminally ill Simpsons co-creator Sam Simon had donated €6,250 to the cause. NewsBreaking newsLocal NewsLimerick appeal to save ‘gay bull’ BenjyBy Alan Jacques – November 18, 2014 671 Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Print TAGSAnimal Rights Action Network (ARAN)Benjyfeaturedgay bullJohn CarmodylimerickSam SimonThe Simpsons Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL First Irish death from Coronavirus last_img read more