OXFORD’S ROWERS are struggling to find any positives after 2014’s record-breaking rainfall forced the entire cancellation of Torpids, the prestigious rowing event which has taken place each Hilary term for over 175 years.This year’s iteration was scheduled to take place on the Isis between Wednesday and Saturday of seventh week, but was officially called off by an Oxford University Rowing Clubs (OURCs) email sent to all college captains on Monday morning.After OURCs initially only called off the first two days of racing, there had been hopes that, despite rivers around the country flowing higher and faster than usual following the recent weather, racing would have been able to go ahead on Friday and Saturday.However, in announcing the event’s first full cancellation since 2007, Senior Umpires (SU) spokesperson Rachel Quarrell explained, “You won’t be surprised, if you were listening to last night’s rain, to hear that the river’s gone back up way too high for us to be able to run any Torpids at all… We’re a long way off even red-flag racing.”The decision to cancel the event was made by the SUs and, as OURCs’ Secretary Scott Houghton explained, was backed by “both the OURCs committee and the Environment Agency.”Houghton went on to say that because of the rain on Friday and Saturday, “Prior experience shows that there is no way it would drop to a level where racing would be possible.”The heavy rainfall has decimated rowing this term, with crews having been unable to train on their usual stretches of the Isis since Michaelmas.As well as racing being rendered unsafe, the Isis’ water level is currently too high to move houseboats moored on the river. Temporarily altering the river’s flow to move the houseboats in order to make room for potential racing has been ruled out for safety reasons. Quarrell explained, “It was hoped, a few days ago, that we might reach a point where the lock could be shut in artificially for a few hours to shift a small number of houseboats, but it is obvious that now can’t happen since yesterday’s rain has filled up the water table again to the point where artificial shut-ins would cause flooding in residential areas.”The four days of Torpids will be sorely missed by both participants and observers, as the event typically draws large crowds. Pembroke captain Camilla O’Driscoll commented that, “When the river gods are being kind and racing goes ahead, Torpids is usually a very exciting event – its historic rivalries make it the main fixture of collegiate rowing in Hilary.“There is always plenty of action in the lower divisions where ability varies hugely between crews (so dramatic bumps are more likely); and in the top divisions, feuds between boat clubs vying for higher positions can go on for years.”The cancellation also represents a blow to novice rowers who have already been affected by limited training opportunities. O’Driscoll told Cherwell, “While in Summer Eights many top division crews will be bolstered by returning Blues team rowers, Torpids crews tend to have a few more seats available for novices who competed in the Christ Church Regatta in Michaelmas to show how much they have progressed.”Jesus’s Anna Turner-Major, one of the first-years to miss out on the competition commented, “My stomach sank when I heard the news that any chance of racing had been blown right out of the water. It was a shame to waste all those early mornings, but at least everyone’s in the same boat.”The Senior Umpires’ statement said that, “It is extremely disappointing for the many crews who have trained hard on land and water, but [cancellation] was sadly unavoidable.” Quarrell explained that the Senior Umpires and OURCs were considering alternatives which could replace the event, but that “at the moment there is no route to convert Torpids into Isis Winter League-style (time-trial based) racing.”Despite the setbacks, Pembroke’s O’Driscoll remained positive. She said, “I’m sure nobody feels that this term has been a waste: the rigorous training undertaken for Torpids has benefited our overall strength and fitness, and the crews that have worked hard this term will find themselves strongly placed to do well in Summer Eights next term.”Crews’ entry funds have been fully refunded, OURCs confirmed, but the OURCs secretary was apologetic, “This will do little to raise the spirits of enthusiasts who have seen a third of the year’s rowing cut short.”Despite the cancellation, some rowers are still hoping to celebrate in traditional style, with Exeter College Boat Club optimistically planning for a Saturday barbecue.
Roger Huang shed the title of interim and now serves as the Martin J. Gillen Dean of the Mendoza College of Business, according to a University press release Friday. “I am honored and humbled by this opportunity to assume the deanship of the Mendoza College of Business,” Huang said in the release. “I am inspired by the vision of the founder of the business school, Cardinal John O’Hara, who said that the primary function of commerce is service to mankind. “This vision sets the Mendoza College apart form other business schools, and I look forward to furthering our vision of business as a powerful force for good.” Huang earned the appointment as interim dean of the College when former dean Carolyn Woo left last year to serve as president of Catholic Relief Services. As interim dean, Huang finalized a partnership between Notre Dame and Renmin University in Beijing to offer a graduate business program for Chinese students pursuing careers with nonprofit organizations. He has been a member of the Notre Dame faculty since 2000 and currently serves as the Kenneth R. Meyer Professor of Global Investment Management. “Roger is an internationally respected scholar who during his time at Notre Dame has proved to be an equally accomplished leader,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the press release. “His reputation in his field, administrative experience, strategic perspective and commitment to Notre Dame’s mission as a Catholic research university are extraordinary. “I look forward to working closely with him as we continue to build a superb business school that serves the greater good.”
(ESPNCRICINFO) – Former West Indies captain Darren Sammy has questioned possible references to the colour of his skin while he was part of Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) dressing room in IPL 2013 and 2014.He said he wasn’t aware at the time of the racist connotation of the word used, and has asked his former team-mates to clear the air on it.In a video post on Instagram on Monday, Sammy spoke of some of his team-mates calling him a “degrading” name. In an earlier Instagram Story, on June 7, he had said the word used was kalu, a Hindi word with a colour connotation.In Monday’s post, Sammy said he initially thought the word meant something “uplifting” or “funny” as it often caused “laughter in the moment”.Now that he knows the meaning, though, Sammy said he wanted his former team-mates – whom he did not name – to reach out to him and tell him if they had meant it in “any way, shape or form” that was degrading, and if so to apologise.Sammy said the word had been used for both himself and Sri Lanka all-rounder Thisara Perera. In his case, Sammy said, team-mates “called me that word over and over again to the point that I was even saying ‘that’s my name’”. He said he thought it meant “strong stallion”, but he came to know of the real meaning when listening to a show by US-based comedian Hasan Minhaj.“I was listening to Hasan Minhaj talking about how some of the people in his culture view or describe black people,” Sammy said in his Instagram post. “Now that doesn’t apply to everybody, but I say this because of something I experienced.(Previously, on the Instagram Stories post on June 7) I said I was angry after listening to him describing a word that they use to describe black people, which he was saying is not in a good way and it was degrading. Instantly I remembered when I played for Sunrisers Hyderabad in 2013 and 2014, I was being called the exact same word that he described.“I will be messaging those people – you guys know who you are. I must admit, at the time in which I was being called that, I did not know what it meant. I thought it meant strong stallion or whatever it is, and I saw no problems with it because I was ignorant to the fact of what it meant; I thought it meant something else, something uplifting.“But, every time I was called it – it was me and Thisara Perera – there was always laughter in the moment. Me being a team man, I thought, hey, team-mates are happy, it must be something funny. You can understand my frustration and my anger when it was pointed out to me that it wasn’t funny at all, it was degrading.“So, I’m going to be texting you guys, and asking you guys, when you repeatedly called me that word over and over again to the point that I was even saying that’s my name, did you all mean it in any way, shape or form as a degrading word to me.“I’ve had great memories in all the dressing rooms I’ve been in, as a T20 player, as a leader in a dressing room, as a captain, I’ve always been one to build up a relationship or build up a team, not bring it down. So, all those who used to call me that, you guys know yourselves, some of you have my numbers, you have me on Instagram, on Twitter, wherever.“Reach out to me, let’s have a conversation. Because, if it was in any way, shape or form what Minhaj said it meant, I’m very disappointed, and I’ll still be angry, and deserve an apology from you guys, because I saw all of you guys as my brothers.“So, talk to me, reach out to me, please clear the air.”Sammy had played for Sunrisers in both 2013 and 2014, even captaining them in 2014. Perera had played for Sunrisers in 2013.The Sunrisers franchise has been asked for a comment.However, ESPNcricinfo understands that the franchise is unlikely to make any comment as Sammy did not report the matter at the time and also he has not pointed fingers at the franchise.ESPNcricinfo has also asked the BCCI for a comment.Sammy had also spoken out against racism last week, in the wake of the custodial killing of George Floyd, a black man, by a white policeman in Minneapolis. Floyd died in Minneapolis on May 25 after the police officer held him down with his knee on his neck for over eight minutes while he was handcuffed.The incident, captured on video, has sparked angry protests across the globe, with several cricketers speaking out as well. Sammy was among the very first active cricketers to publicly speak out after Floyd’s killing.
Danny v Dinny: Double Olympian Danny McDaid tackles minister Dinny McGinley over cuts to children’s diabetes servicesPARENTS of 141 children in County Donegal who are being treated for Type 1 Diabetes have accused the hospital of ‘outrageous spin’ after a nurse who looks after them was axed.The full-time specialist nurse position has been done away with by Letterkenny General Hospital.Instead she will join a team which will look after the children AND 5,200 adult diabetes patients. Outraged relatives – including double Olympian Danny McDaid – today picketed the hospital as Health Minister Dr James Reilly re-opened the emergency department which was flooded last July.But his trip was overshadowed by the sight of young children with potentially-fatal type 1 diabetes holding placards at the entrance.As Dr Reilly left the hospital to have a walkabout at the Cheshire apartments, crowds of relatives demanded that the specialist trained nursing position be reinstated.They surrounded the Minister’s PR advisor and Junior Minister Dinny McGinley demanding that children-only services return. Mum Denise Gillespie, who met the Minister to discuss the issue, was furious at how their campaign had been reported elsewhere this afternoon.“The amount of spin is unbelievable and unfortunately some people have swallowed it,” said Denise, whose 14-year-old daughter Emer has diabetes.“The facts remain the same. We had a dedicated paediatric-trained expert nurse working with all the children here in County Donegal,” she said.“That position has gone. The nurse is still there but she is integrated into the adult service along with other nurses who do not have any qualifications to deal with paediatric diabetes.”She said the Minister had said he would look at using national resources in the five centres in Dublin, Cork and Limerick to help patients in Donegal. This could include a phone service for parents, said Dr Reilly.“The nurse on the other end of the phone needs to know the unique circumstances of every patient,” said Mrs Gillespie.Experts say a dedicated children-only diabetes nurse should be provided for every 100 children with the illness. The hospital proposals breach those guidelines.Anne McLaughlin, from Buncrana has a 10-year-old son Michael who has Type 1 diabetes. “We are losing out here,” she said.“They are merging paediatric services with adult services and that is highly dangerous.“We have to take my son to Dublin as he is fitted with an insulin pump. That means a 5am start once a month; getting back at 8pm.“These services should be here – all five centres of excellence are in the south of the country, 3 in Dublin, one in Cork and one in Limerick. It’ just wrong.”She said 50 patients with fitted insulin pumps made the journey to Dublin – at a combined cost of €10,000 a month out of their own pockets.Many parents asked why nursing experts couldn’t come to Letterkenny for three or four days every month instead.In a statement the hospital said: “The National Clinical Programme for Diabetes has created a new post for an Integrated Diabetes Clinical Nurse Specialist and as a result, the nursing resource in Letterkenny General Hospital will be restructured, delivering benefits to both children and adults with Diabetes.“There are currently two Clinical Nurse Specialist posts and one Staff Nurse post in the Diabetic service at Letterkenny General Hospital. These resources will remain unchanged. A new post of Integrated Diabetes Clinical Nurse Specialist will link diabetic hospital care to diabetic community services.“The outcome of these changes will be that nursing support for children with diabetes within the hospital will remain at current levels. Overall services will be enhanced through the support of the Integrated Services Clinical Nurse Specialist, who will work across both the hospital and the community.“One of the two hospital Clinical Nurse Specialist posts will have a focus on children with diabetes and the other will have a focus on adults with diabetes. A staff nurse with experience in diabetes is being recruited to support both these roles. The existing midwifery allocation to support pregnant women with diabetes will also continue unchanged.“The hospital is in the process of recruiting permanent Consultants to two vacant posts within the Paediatric service. One of these posts is being advertised as a Consultant Paediatrician with a Special Interest in Diabetes. In the interim, Consultant cover for children with diabetes is currently being provided by a locum Consultant Paediatrician.”Hospital manager Sean Murphy admitted that one of the roles would focus two thirds of the time on child patients – while another nurse would spend around half her time on paediatric care.The consultant won’t be hired for at least six months.HOSPITAL ACCUSED OF ‘OUTRAGEOUS SPIN’ OVER AXED DIABETES NURSE was last modified: March 3rd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:diabetesletterkennyNURSE