Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill is refusing to allow the furore surrounding FIFA’s controversial loan to distract him from his Euro 2016 mission. But as they went about their business, FAI chief executive John Delaney was facing calls to stand before the Irish parliament and explain the situation, although the man he appointed as Giovanni Trapattoni’s replacement in November 2013 was focusing solely on football. Asked for his reaction to the latest development, O’Neill said: “Exactly the same as I had yesterday. I don’t know what else has happened to it. That’s an issue at this minute outside my jurisdiction. I genuinely don’t know enough about the ins and outs of it. “Someone asked me yesterday would I make a comment on it at some stage or another – I’m sure that possibly will be the case. “But really in essence, I am here for one major thing: my job here is to try to prepare these players for this match and I don’t think that anything else, from my viewpoint, should be distracting from that.” If O’Neill’s stance was convenient it was also necessary, with few within the Ireland camp doubting the significance of Saturday’s game. Win and the Republic are right back in the hunt for automatic qualification; lose and France will seem beyond them, and that could spark a clamour for fundamental change. O’Neill, however, remains hopeful his team can emerge from a tough group to achieve its objective. He said: “If you were speaking to [Scotland boss] Gordon [Strachan], I think we find ourselves in a pretty difficult group. We are in with the world champions, who would be expected to go and win the group, then it seemed as if it was going to be a real scramble for second place. “Poland are very, very strong and Scotland, there seems to be a renaissance there, which is good for Scottish football in that sense. But yes, it’s been difficult – but nothing is impossible yet and there’s a distance to go. “We are only halfway through the group.” Ireland lost by the only goal in the reverse fixture in Glasgow in November, and O’Neill is aware there could once again be a fine line between success and failure. To that end, he will hope to have skipper Robbie Keane, who was due to arrive in Dublin on Monday afternoon after playing 90 minutes for the Los Angeles Galaxy in their 1-0 home defeat by Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday evening. Keane’s 65 senior international goals mark him out as one of the top marksmen in world football, but the 34-year-old is nearing the end of his career and the lack of an obvious replacement is a concern. O’Neill said: “It’s been an ongoing problem for a long time, hence the importance, of course, of Robbie Keane over the years, who you would have to say has been the most natural scorer that we have possessed. “It’s not just a problem peculiar to ourselves. Other nations suffer from it and if you don’t have a natural scorer in your side, then regardless of what happens, even if you create chances in the game, taking them is the big thing at the very, very top of the game. “You see the Champions League final there, where you know you have got three players there capable of scoring a goal. It’s a lovely feeling to have when you have got world-class players being able to take defences apart. “If you haven’t got that, then you have to use other methods to try to win games.” Press Association The 63-year-old started preparations in earnest on Monday morning for this weekend’s key Group D clash with Scotland in Dublin, as the Football Association of Ireland struggled to escape the glare of the spotlight under which it was thrust when news of a five million euro payment from the game’s governing body was confirmed last week. O’Neill and his coaching staff took to the training field at Gannon Park with those players who were not involved in Sunday’s 0-0 friendly draw with England, while those who did play headed off for a pool-based recovery session.
Listen to the KGLO Morning News from Friday October 11th
1 The Premier League have announced supporters will pay a maximum of £30 for a ticket to an away match for the next three seasons.Member clubs made the decision to introduce the new measures after sustained pressure from fans of top-flight teams to make football more affordable.The £30 cap will run from the start of the 2016/17 campaign through to 2018/19, a period which will see the Premier League teams receive record revenue (£5.14 billion) from broadcasting deals.Here is a selection of the response on social media… Liverpool fans display a banner at Villa Park
SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension “This is not something that should be looked at like, ‘oh it’s only a tick, a tick is a bit like a flea, its fine!’.“These ticks carry some really quite potent, serious bacteria and they can cause you a lot of problems. Raising awareness of them is imperative,” added Dawson, who has used the experience to join up with the Big Tick Project, which looks to raise awareness about the dangers of ticks and tick-borne disease in the UK. LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses MOST READ NCAA postpones Tuesday’s games Orphan goes from sniffing ‘Rugby’ glue to playing for Philippines PLAY LIST 01:35Orphan goes from sniffing ‘Rugby’ glue to playing for Philippines00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games LATEST STORIES SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding England’s Matt Dawson dives over the line to score a try against Wales during the Six Nations rugby match at Twickenham, southwest London 04 February 2006. England won the game 47-13. AFP PHOTO ADRIAN DENNIS / AFP PHOTO / ADRIAN DENNISEngland’s 2003 Rugby World Cup-winning scrum-half Matt Dawson revealed Monday he has undergone heart surgery due to being bitten by a tick in a park in London last year.The 44-year-old — who won 77 caps for his country and played seven times for the British and Irish Lions — said he would never have thought he was running such a risk going for a walk in a London park with his children.ADVERTISEMENT “I had two days where I felt awful. Very feverish, on the sofa, crashed out,” Dawson, who was diagnosed with Lyme disease which is a bacterial infection caused by infected ticks, told the BBC.“It was a really scary time for me and my family. Such a tiny creature caused me to end up needing heart surgery.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutDawson no longer has the disease though it has taken several heart procedures and he still has to take medication. “I’m still on medication and its going to take a lot of time for the heart to fully recover,” he said. LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games View comments
TweetPinShare0 Shares ATHENS – Down 2-0 in Euroleague quarter-final play, Greece’s leading basketball teams Olympiakos and Panathinaikos returned home on April 21 needing wins to stay alive in their best-of-series and managed to hang on.After being drubbed previously, Panathinaikos defeated CSKA Moscow 65-59 while Olympiakos, the two-time defending European champion, edged Real Madrid, 78-76 before delirious fans. The next games in both series are scheduled for April 23. Panathinaikos had the easier time of it, running off to a 25-13 lead and keeping in front the rest of the match apart from the Russian team taking a brief 59-58 lead only to be shut out the rest of the way.The Greens played tough on defense led by Stephane Lasme and Antonis Fotsis, along with Zack Wright, a Texan who has Bosnian heritage. Lasme scored 13 points and Wright added 10. Dimitris Diamantidis distributed five assists to become the player with the highest number of career assists in the history of the Euroleague, overtaking another Greek, Thodoris Papaloukas.At Peace and Friendship Stadium, Olympiakos showed some spunk to avoid being embarrassed by a sweep after winning the Euroleague titles in 2012 and 2013.The Reds were led by New York’s Bryant Dunston, a 6-8, 252-lb. power forward who was unstoppable, scoring 21 points and showing an indomitable presence.Olympiakos led 23-15 after one period and 45-38 at the half, buoyed by a raucous crowd that seemed to get under the skins of the Spanish team.The quicker Real Madrid players managed to grab a lead only 40 seconds before the finish but Olympiakos came back to grab the critical win, with captain Vassilis Spanoulis adding 17 points.
OSU players celebrates after an overtime goal against Bowling Green on Oct. 7 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Credit: Eric Weitz / Lantern PhotographerThe Ohio State men’s soccer team is currently riding the longest winning streak in program history. The Buckeyes are looking to build on their seven-game tear against Cleveland State at 7 p.m. on Wednesday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Scarlet and Gary did not face the Vikings last season but are looking to come out with a win despite limited knowledge of the opponent.“We’re going to prepare to play against Cleveland State and do the best that we can against CSU,” coach John Bluem said. “When that game is over, then we will go on to the next.”The Buckeyes have been on fire and plan to take one game at a time to keep its momentum.A daunting challenge for the Vikings will be trying to break through the Buckeye defense, as the OSU back end has been nearly impenetrable lately for the opposition. It’s been three games since a team has found the back of the net against OSU. “The backs are playing fantastic and we know that we just need to go in there and put things away,” senior midfielder Kyle Culbertson said.The Buckeyes have enjoyed the support of their home fans and look for it to continue as the team draws closer to postseason play.“This team is really in a groove right now with seven straight wins and nine unbeaten,” junior forward Christian Soldat said. “It feels great to be at home to play in front of a crowd that grows every single game, and they’re always behind us and we’re going to keep playing for them.”Viking territoryThe Vikings will be entering Wednesday’s match coming off the heels of a shutout win, 1-0, over Belmont on Saturday. Cleveland State has won three games in a row and has extended its record to 6-6-1 overall. Sophomore defender Jake Lagania leads the Vikings with five goals and three assists, followed by junior forward Sergio Manesio with three goals. Cleveland State has used a timeshare system at goalkeeper this season. Junior goalkeeper Nick Ciraldo has played about 600 minutes on the year and has a goals-against average of 2.14, with 16 saves overall, while junior goalkeeper Aleksandar Drobac has played for about 700 minutes and has a goals-against average score of 1.10 with 31 saves.Player of the week awards piling upFor the third consecutive week, redshirt senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, while junior forward Danny Jensen was named Offensive Player of the Week for the second time in October.Both players have been vital to what OSU has been able to accomplish thus far.Jensen leads the team with four goals and three assists on the season, giving him a total of 11 points.Froschauer has started every game in 2015 after transferring from Dayton. He has logged more than 1,000 minutes and boasts a goals-against average of 0.88 and 45 saves this season.Froschauer became the third player in conference history to rack up three consecutive weekly honors. Moving on upAfter Saturday’s victory, the Buckeyes have moved to first place in the Big Ten conference, followed by Maryland and Rutgers, respectively. The Scarlet and Gray have also moved up to No. 18 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.Up nextFollowing Wednesday’s action, the Buckeyes are set to travel to Piscataway, New Jersey, to face Rutgers at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
October 28, 2018 SWAT team called after reports of gunfire in Bonita, suspect arrested KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, BONITA (KUSI) — Reports of gunfire in a neighborhood in Bonita brought out a SWAT team, where an alleged gunman was arrested and nine other people were detained Sunday.No one was hurt, and sheriff’s deputies ultimately arrested one person in connection with the incident.A caller told police just before 4 a.m. Sunday that they could hear gunshots in a neighborhood east of Briarwood Road and south of state Route 54, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Michael McNeill said.A Sheriff’s Department SWAT team headed to the 5400 block of Robinwood Road, where they found shell casings and live rounds in the driveway of a house and initially detained nine people for questioning. Officers from the San Diego and Chula Vista police departments also responded to help.While deputies and officers were conducting their investigation, they heard several more gunshots coming from nearby, McNeill said.Deputies and officers saw a man run away, and they briefly chased him but lost sight of him, according to a Sheriff’s Department news release. With the help of a police dog, they were able to find the man hiding in shrubs outside an apartment complex, and they detained him as well.Deputies also found a gun and a magazine in the area, McNeill said.The man, Salvador Barajas, 25, was first taken to a hospital for a medical evaluation before being booked into jail on suspicion of negligent discharge of a firearm. Posted: October 28, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
The Book Office of the Institut français en Inde or the Embassy of France in India is proud to be associated with the release of the English translation of Chowra Makaremi’s Le Cahier d’Aziz. Au cœur de la révolution iranienne (Gallimard, 2011) published in India by Yoda Press under the title Aziz’s Notebook: At the Heart of the Iranian Revolution.The author will be in conversation with books editors and press on 18 March. Head over for an interesting talk.
As the Centre went about issuing an advisory on how to tackle terror in schools, its flagship intelligence security project – National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID), proposed after 26/11terrorist attack in Mumbai, got stuck in a land dispute between South Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Development Authority. On Friday, the standing committee of the civic body refused to pass the layout plan of the NATGRID building and directed the municipal commissioner to approach Delhi High Court to safeguard its interests on the disputed land. Also Read – Need to understand why law graduate’s natural choice is not legal profession: CJI“We will pass the layout plan of the building only if the payment made by Union Ministry for Home Affairs to DDA is paid to South DMC plus annual ground rent of the proposed building or DDA must allot a similar 10 acre land at a suitable place to construct infectious disease hospital proposed by the corporation,” said Subhash Arya, chairman of the standing committee of South DMC and ‘referred back’ the matter. The 10 acre land which is part of a 22.15 acre plot of South MCD at Andheria More in Mehrauli was given to CRPF on rent to set up a temporary unit two years back. The price of the plot is estimated to be Rs 7.4 crore. Also Read – Health remains key challenge in India’s development: Kovind“Neither DDA nor Land & Building department could present any record but the officers of the ministry accepted the verbal claims of these agencies to accept the ownership of DDA on the land,” said Manish Gupta in a written reply in the meeting. He further added that the decision of the Additional Secretary of Union Ministry for Urban Development Bhupendra Bahuguna to reject all their documents of ownership as ‘not credible’ was wrong and arbitrary. “We are ready to put all our records for forensic test,” Gupta said. Amid the furious debate on the issue the commissioner was pulled up by all members of the standing committee cutting across party lines for his inability to present the matter to the ministry in a proper way. Taking part in the debate leader of Opposition Farhad Suri said, “South MCD functions as per an act of parliament so we are equal to any central government agency. No one is above us but parliament,” said Suri. NATGRID was proposed in 2008 by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and it approached South MCD in October 2013 to approve the layout plan of the building. After the new government took charge at the Centre it was expedited and three meetings were held between South MCD and NATGRID officers. On 7 October MHA asked South MCD to pass the layout plan ex post facto as the matter related to national interest and take the approval of the standing committee later but the civic body refused. On 14 October MUDS summoned a meeting of all the stakeholders and land ownership was decided in favour of DDA.