Journalist killed in troubling circumstances

first_img In blow to impunity, panel says investigation into blogger’s death should resume February 4, 2021 Find out more MalawiAfrica Organisation Social networks and TV signals down after close of polls in Malawi Reporters Without Borders today expressed its concern about the death of freelance journalist Don Kulapani on 8 August during the hold-up of a bar in the capital, and called on the authorities to conduct a full investigation into this killing, which has coincided with attacks on journalists by the ruling party.”We ask you to fully clarify the circumstances of the journalist’s death and to establish that it was not linked to the exercise of his profession”, Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter to Interior Minister Monjeza Maluza. “The fact that it coincides with recent attacks on journalists by the UDF’s youth league is troubling, to say the least”, Ménard said in the letter, which requested that Reporters Without Borders be kept informed about the investigation’s progress.A freelancer who used to work for The Chronicle newspaper, Kulapani was in a bar in the capital, Lilongwe, on 8 August when four armed men entered and opened fire, hitting the journalist. They then stabbed him many times. The assailants took cases of beer, musical equipment and cash from the till before making off. Kulapani died as a result of these injuries.The journalist’s death comes soon after the release of a statement by theruling UDF denying news media claims that it had a unit tasked with silencing investigative journalists who “embarrass” the government. In early August, the National Media Institute of South Africa claimed to have discovered a UDF plot to attack journalists of the Daily Times, Weekly Chronicle, Pride and BBC for having accused the UDF of intending to change the constitution to allow President Bakili Muluzi to run for a third term in 2004.Young activists have been implicated in beatings of journalists who support the opposition party, especially journalists working for the Chronicle, Kulapani’s former employer. The Daily Times had already alleged in November 2001 that the UDF had complied a list of journalists who “discredit the party” and that it intended to use its youth wing to attack them. Help by sharing this information News News Receive email alerts to go furthercenter_img August 12, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist killed in troubling circumstances News Twitter arbitrarily blocks South African newsweekly and several reporters over Covid vaccine story October 10, 2012 Find out more News May 24, 2019 Find out more RSF_en MalawiAfrica Follow the news on Malawilast_img read more

Limerick is a safe haven for tourists

first_imgby Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up LIMERICK is one of the safest places in Ireland for tourists, according to the Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) which recorded only three incidents of crimes against visitors to the city last year.This is in contrast to the 336 criminal incidents involving visitors to Dublin during the same period.Limerick Mayor Michael Sheehan said that this was “a further endorsement of the feel good factor in Limerick.These figures are genuine because any tourist who is a victim of crime will report it as they’re bound to feel isolated.Referring to the “collective cooperation that exists in the city”, the mayor said that this positive thinking was reflected in the freedom tourists enjoyed as they walk the streets.“They feel safe, comfortable and are confident to recommend Limerick as a destination. These figures are not just going to spread nationwide but this is a positivity that will go global.“Things like this is likely to encourage more visitors to come in the remaining few months of the City of Culture celebrations so I welcome that”, he added.Since its formation 20 years, almost 13,000 people have been assisted by the ITAS which is the only dedicated service of its kind in Europe.Limerick Garda Chief superintendent Dave Sheahan said the ITAS figures were a further indicator of where the city has come from and the direction it is headed.“These figures support the statistics given to the Minister for Justice on her recent visit to the city. We always avoid complacency, but this report goes a long way to show how much the landscape of crime in the city has changed and in terms of policing our streets.Tourism Minister Paschal Donohoe said that: “Irish people are world renowned for our hospitality and welcome. While many things have changed throughout those 20 years, our welcome for overseas visitors is now as friendly as ever.“Visitors are assured of a truly memorable holiday and research has shown the vast majority of our overseas visitors are more than happy to recommend Ireland as a holiday destination.“However, for a very small percentage of tourists who become victims of crime while visiting Ireland, it is reassuring to know that the Irish Tourist Assistance Service is available year-round to offer immediate support and assistance free of charge.Outside of Dublin, the main tourist centres in Wicklow, Clare, Kerrry and Galway all recorded higher incidents of crimes against visitors, according to the ITAS 2013 annual report.Meantime, the services provided to tourists who become victims of crime was one of the items discussed on the agenda of the Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality this week.Committee Chairman David Stanton TD said: “While Ireland is generally regarded as a safe destination for tourists and crimes against tourists remain low by international standards, unfortunately a number of tourists become victims of crime every year.Nationally, Mr Staunton said that “last year saw an increase in the number of tourists seeking assistance from the service, the majority of whom had been victims of theft.“For a tourist, the trauma of being a victim of crime can be compounded by language, culture and legal differences. The Irish Tourist Assistance Service acts as a base where problems facing a tourist can be addressed promptly with the view to getting holiday plans back on track”, he said. TAGSfeatured Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Advertisement Previous articleTravelling Men of ShakespeareNext articlePedestrian killed in early morning dual carriageway crash Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter First Irish death from Coronavirus No vaccines in Limerick yet Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Printcenter_img Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Linkedin Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsLimerick is a safe haven for touristsBy Staff Reporter – September 26, 2014 2072 Facebook Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April WhatsApplast_img read more

PGA Championship tees off today

first_imgThere’s a strong Irish contingent in the field for the PGA Championship which gets underway today at Wentworth.The tournament is the first tournament in the new Rolex Series.Padraig Harrington and Shane Lowry are joined by the likes of Paul Dunne, Gary Hurley and Neil O’Briain. Lowry is the first Irish golfer out on course, when he tees off after 8.30 this morning alongside Ross Fisher and Thorbjorn Olesen Photo © – Tipp FMlast_img