Cuomo failing on energy promises

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion On April 23, 1,500 protesters asked Gov. Andrew Cuomo to reject fracked-gas infrastructure. Cynthia Nixon told reporters that the state must rescind permits for power plants, say no to “microgrids” run on gas, and stop approving pipelines. All 26 of Cuomo’s “ambitious” renewable projects add up to a paltry 100MW of power once capacity factors are applied. And he is intent on getting CPV and Cricket Valley (CVE) online.Look at NYSERDA’s NY Prize microgrid program: Omitting Syracuse, which has proposed an incinerator; omitting diesel for black-start use; leaving out battery power and applying the capacity factors for renewable components; the stage-two winners will be getting public money for grids that are powered 98 percent by gas and which will run 100 percent of the time. NYSERDA plans to promote a few thousand more of these. The turbines in NYSERDA’s microgrids are the same ones used in compressor stations: they generate carcinogenic volatile organic compounds; they add carbon-equivalent pollution through both methane leakage and combustion; and they’ll need pipes or trucks to feed them. We went to Albany with peer-reviewed research on the harms of fracking infrastructure. We waved the Paris Accord at the governor. But we aren’t lobbyists or representatives of midstream corporations, so maybe the state Department of Environmental Conservation and governor just can’t hear us. CVE and CPV will each add 10 to 15 percent to the state greenhouse-gas inventory, effectively voiding Cuomo’s promises to cut state emissions. New York — the entire planet — is headed over a cliff. Is it time to change drivers?Dennis HigginsOtegoMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusCuomo calls for clarity on administering vaccineGov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference for Sunday, Oct. 18EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homeslast_img read more

Kids online a challenge for parents

first_imgNZ Herald 5 June 2014Kiwi parents believe their children spend too much time online and more are using digital technology as a babysitter, a survey says.The report from online security company AVG Technologies also found 31 per cent of Kiwi parents said their child threw a tantrum when a device was taken off them.The survey polled almost 5500 parents and more than 2500 children aged 5-10 years old from nine countries, including New Zealand. Nearly half of Kiwi parents thought their child spent too much time on a digital device – such as a cellphone, tablet or computer – and not enough time outside.John Cowan, a presenter for Auckland-based group The Parenting Place, said the fact that children were growing up surrounded by technology meant parents had to adapt. That included talking to children about issues such as sex and pornography at an earlier age. The AVG survey found 51 per cent of all parents had had to talk to their children about such topics because they had been exposed to them on the internet.The report also asked people about their monitoring habits and found that 40 per cent of NZ parents used browser histories to snoop on their partner’s online activity – more than the 30 per cent who monitored their child’s online activities.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11267706last_img read more

Offensive Wicked Campers ‘disappear’ following censor ban

first_imgStuff co.nz 20 January 2017Family First Comment: To those who say we should just be quiet because we’re simply giving them profile, we say – for evil to succeed, it just takes good people to do or say nothing. Here’s the proof.Wicked Campers became known as a brash, unapologetic company that built its reputation on offensive slogans plastered across its vehicles.But almost a year on from a nationwide furore that saw the Chief Censor ban a handful of its vans from the road, the feeling is that the company has been somewhat tamed.“They are not like they used to be 12 months ago,” said Golden Bay’s Pohara Campground assistant manager Leigh Johnson. “It think they have toned it down.”Last year, three of Wicked Campers’ most offensive vehicles were banned from New Zealand’s roads, following a landmark ruling from the Classification Office. It was the first time the office had made a decision about a vehicle.It meant that the vans were banned from public places in New Zealand and Wicked could face a fine of up to $200,000 per offence if it continued to use them.READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/88576142/Offensive-Wicked-Campers-disappear-following-censor-banlast_img read more