Share Share Sharing is caring! NewsRegional Wyclef Jean rejects Haitian charity fraud claims by: – November 28, 2011 Tweet 11 Views no discussions Share Haitian-born hip hop star Wyclef Jean says he stands by the decisions made by Yele Haiti.NEW YORK, USA, Monday November 28, 2011 – International hip hop star Wyclef Jean has denied that his charity Yele Haiti fraudulently used funds raised for victims of the January 2010 earthquake.The claim was made in a New York Post article that said less than a third of the US$16 million raised for earthquake relief was used for emergency efforts.Another US$1 million was reportedly paid to Amisphere Farm Labor Inc. That company failed to complete the necessary paperwork to be incorporated in Florida.However, the Haiti-born star said in a statement that the claims were “misleading, deceptive and incomplete.”“The percentage of funds used is consistent with NGOs and Not For Profits operating in Haiti at the time,” he said.“I have acknowledged that Yele has made mistakes in the past, including being late in IRS filings, but that is old news. When I entered politics last summer, I transitioned from being a board member and chairman of Yele Haiti to a supporter. The new and good news is that Yele under new leadership, despite efforts to undermine its credibility and effectiveness, continues its mission to serve people in need.”According to the Grammy-award winning musician, the decisions made by Yele, which he co-founded in 2005, were in response to one of the world’s most catastrophic natural disasters in modern history that required an immediate humanitarian action.“Immediate decisions were made to save lives and alleviate suffering. We made decisions that enabled us to provide emergency assistance in the midst of chaos and we stand by those decisions. We did the best we could with the available resources,” he said.“I am proud of the way that Yele handled the crisis on the ground in 2010. We were able to feed, clothe, provide medical assistance and shelter for more than 250 thousand people in need.”Jean pointed out that the charity rebuilt an orphanage, built a temporary assistance facility, and constructed outdoor toilet and shower facilities in Cite Soliel, one of the largest slums in Port-au-Prince.He said too that Amisphere Farm Labor prepared and delivered close to 100,000 meals for earthquake victims.Caribbean 360 News
Martin O’Neill’s squad went third in Group D with a 4-nil win over Gibraltar in Faro. Monday’s opponents did Ireland a favour by beating Scotland in Tblisi, but Shay Given knows that will make the Georgians an even tougher prospect at the Aviva.
FILE PHOTO: Mauricio PochettinoSingapore, Singapore | AFP | Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino said Friday that last month’s Champions League final defeat has made him more determined to succeed at the club, after the conclusion of another solid campaign.Pochettino said he was keen to continue with the five-year “project” that has seen Tottenham establish themselves in the Premier League top four and finally move into their new stadium after a series of delays.“After the final the feeling wasn’t great, to finish like this. I am not a person who wants to avoid the problem. I love a big challenge,” the 47-year-old Argentine told reporters as he looked back at the 2-0 defeat to Liverpool in Madrid.“In the last week, we started to train and look forward to another season. We are still far away from where we expect to be, so it’s not just my challenge, but everyone’s challenge,” he said in Singapore ahead of Sunday’s pre-season friendly against Italian giants Juventus.“You need to be a man and try to move on from the Champions League final, create some atmosphere and excitement to fight for big things.“We cannot forget we came from that period of building our stadium, lodge and the training ground.“The holiday was so tough for myself, difficult to move on from the final. We shared three fantastic weeks and it was the best atmosphere in five years and it was a shame to end the way it did. “We deserved to win, to be better than a great team like Liverpool.”Pochettino had been linked to some of Europe’s leading clubs last season, but a move now seems to be off the table.Sitting next to Pochettino, England striker Harry Kane echoed his manager’s sentiments about being brave as the club hope to improve on their fourth-place finish after briefly flirting with a title challenge to champions Manchester City and runners-up Liverpool.“We know it was there for the taking and it’s something we have to deal with over the summer,” Kane said of the Champions League final defeat.“With everything last season I think we did extremely well. I haven’t watched the game again.”Share on: WhatsApp
HOUSTON (AP) — Carmelo Anthony signed a one-year, $2.4 million deal with the Houston Rockets on Monday.Anthony was traded from the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Atlanta Hawks last month before the Hawks released him.Houston general manager Daryl Morey announced the signing and the Rockets posted a picture on social media of Anthony signing his contract.The 34-year-old joins a team led by MVP James Harden and star point guard Chris Paul. The Rockets hope the addition of Anthony will help them contend for their first title since 1995. They lost to the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference finals last season.Anthony will get a fresh start in Houston after spending last season with the Thunder, with whom he averaged a career-low 16.2 points in 78 games. The third overall pick in the 2003 draft has averaged 24.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3 assists in a 15-year career that also included stints with the Denver Nuggets and the New York Knicks.The 6-foot-8 Anthony is a 10-time All-Star and has won three gold medals in the Olympics. He is USA Basketball’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder.Anthony has averaged more than 20 points every year of his career except last season and led the NBA in scoring in 2012-13, when he averaged 28.7 points a game.