Lebanon records first novel coronavirus death: Health ministry

first_imgA Lebanese man died Tuesday from the novel coronavirus, a health ministry official said, marking the country’s first recorded death from an epidemic that has infected 41 people nationwide. The 56-year-old had been receiving treatment at Beirut’s Rafic Hariri state hospital, the ministry official told AFP, adding that he had recently returned from Egypt, where coronavirus infections have also been detected.Lebanon, already hit by economic collapse and anti-government protests, is now grappling with an outbreak of the deadly COVID-19 virus — its latest in a long list of crises. Lebanon has said it would deny entry to non-resident foreigners arriving from China, South Korea, Iran and Italy, which are among the hardest hit by the epidemic.But domestic concern is still high amid fears that Lebanon is not equipped to face a mass outbreak. With a grinding liquidity crunch and dwindling foreign reserves, Lebanon has struggled to secure the dollars needed for medical imports even before coronavirus arrived. Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced on Saturday that the country would suspend payment on Eurobonds.  Health Minister Hamad Hassan said last week that the country has moved beyond the phase of “containment” and was bracing for a more serious outbreak.Schools, universities, cafes, pubs and other public places have since been ordered shut over fears of the virus.Sport tournaments have been postponed and cultural events cancelled. According to the health minister, the origins of Lebanon’s cases have mostly been traced to other countries.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Trump blames China’s virus response on desire to see him lose

first_imgDonald Trump blamed China’s response to the coronavirus outbreak on a desire to see him lose in November, as the US president intensified efforts to fault Beijing for his reelection challenges.Trump — speaking in an Oval Office interview with Reuters published Wednesday — didn’t provide evidence to support the claim that China would deliberately mishandle an outbreak that has killed more than 4,600 of its citizens. The president said that he was considering various ways to punish the Chinese government, which he has blamed for allowing the virus to spread across the world.“China will do anything they can to have me lose this race,” Trump said in the interview. He didn’t say what punitive actions he might take, but added: “There are many things I can do.” Trump also said during the interview that the US trade deal with China had been “upset very badly” by the economic fallout from the coronavirus crisis. The slowdown has made it more difficult for China to meet purchasing pledges included in a “phase one” trade pact reached between the two sides in January.Officials in Washington and Beijing have been firing charges at each other for weeks as the US became one of the countries hardest-hit by a disease first identified in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. The dispute has complicated global efforts to mount a coordinated response to the virus, with US officials emphasizing Chinese responsibility for failing to stop its spread.Republicans have been ratcheting up efforts to paint China as the villain, as Trump faces increased criticism of his handling of a crisis that has pushed the US economy toward recession. Some 55 percent of Americans disapprove of Trump’s handling of the pandemic, according to an NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll released Wednesday, while other surveys show the president trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden nationally and in key swing states.China helped escalate the blame game with the US in March when a foreign ministry spokesman shared speculation on social media that American military personnel introduced the virus to Wuhan. While Trump has held off from the calling the pathogen that causes Covid-19 the “Chinese virus,” his campaign sent out a letter earlier this month accusing the country of “lying” about the outbreak.Earlier Wednesday, US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said that China posed a threat to the world by hiding information about the origin of the coronavirus. The comments came after state broadcaster China Central Television’s top evening news program questioned the transparency and accuracy of US data on Covid-19 infections.“The Chinese Communist Party now has a responsibility to tell the world how this pandemic got out of China and all across the world, causing such global economic devastation,” Pompeo told Fox News in an interview in which he repeatedly criticized Beijing. “America needs to hold them accountable.”Topics :last_img read more

Unai Emery wants Arsenal to sign Roma star Cengiz Under this summer

first_img Comment Advertisement Under has three Champions League goals this season but has been injured since January (Getty)According to Calciomercato, Arsenal are very keen on Under and watched him extensively this season, while they have scouts primed to analyse him again in March when he is expected to return from injury.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTThe transfer has Emery’s backing, who considers him an exciting talent that would provide more options to his attack, especially with Aaron Ramsey – who scored against Spurs last time out – joining Juventus.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityRoma only spent £12m prising Under away from Istanbul Basakeshir, one of the first signings of Monchi’s reign, and expect to get around triple that if he leaves in the summer.The 21-year-old has not played since the middle of January, netting six times and laying on nine assists in his 25 appearances in all competitions before that. Advertisement Under was signed by Monchi in his first summer at Roma after leaving Sevilla (Picture: Getty)Arsenal were interested in Under in January, though were only able to make loan signings, and Roma expect to have more suitors in the summer.As well as bolstering his frontline, Emery has also been heavily linked with moves for a new centre-back and left-back as well as another central midfielder.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenalcenter_img The Gunners have frequently sent scouts to watch the Turkish forward (Picture: Getty)Unai Emery has set his sights on bringing Roma attacker Cengiz Under to the Emirates this summer with the club sending scouts to watch him in action, according to reports.The Gunners were limited to only making loan signings in the January window but Emery has been given assurances that more funds will be made available in the summer.Arsenal are expected to bring in a new technical director, with Roma chief Monchi, who worked with Emery at Sevilla, the frontrunner – and his first task could be bringing one of the Italian side’s star players with him. Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 6 Mar 2019 10:39 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link471Shares Unai Emery wants Arsenal to sign Roma star Cengiz Under this summerlast_img read more

AP funds accept Scania takeover deal previously rejected by AP4

first_imgAP3, meanwhile, said it viewed the offer as “fair” but indicated it did not consider the alternative – maintaining a position as a minority shareholder – as sustainable. Peter Lundqvist, the fund’s head of corporate governance, said the last couple of years as a minority shareholder in Scania had not been easy.“There has been a lack of information regarding potential synergies from the collaboration between Scania and MAN, last year VW abolished the nomination committee, and they have also decided to reduce dividends for 2013 without any justification,” he told IPE.“When you invite your partner to dance, it’s difficult when she refuses to step out on the dance floor.”AP2 currently owns 0.2% of stock, while AP3’s shareholding accounts for 0.32% of the firm’s share capital.Due to the use of the Swedish A and B share system, the funds jointly account for just 0.1% of voting rights.Requests for comment from AP1, which, according to local media reports, has sold its stake in Scania since the end of 2013, went unanswered at the time of publication.Volkswagen, which owns more than 60% of shares and controls 88% of voting rights at the company, has previously seen its bid for Scania rejected by the company’s independent committee, resulting in several institutional investors, including pension provider AMF, rejecting the bid.AP4 cited the independent committee’s discomfort with the bid when it rejected the offer.At the time, it said: “Our belief is that the Swedish senior citizens who are the main principals of AP4 in the long term will benefit if Scania remains as an independent listed company.”AMF’s Anders Oscarsson, who heads up corporate governance at the provider, previously said its concerns over VW’s offer stemmed from its ownership of rival truck manufacturer MAN Group.“Scania is in fantastic shape, and MAN is not, and Scania has done some excellent R&D,” he said. “So the question is, could there be some transition out of the company?” Two of Sweden’s buffer funds have accepted Volkswagen’s controversial bid for local heavy vehicles manufacturer Scania, weeks after AP4 rejected the SEK200 (€22.30) a share offer.A spokeswoman for AP2 said it had carefully evaluated the bid, which was “attractive” to the buffer fund.Asked how the fund had come to a different conclusion than AP4, the spokeswoman said she could not comment on the other fund’s assessment of the deal.“We have done our analysis, and they have done theirs,” she said.last_img read more

Belgium targets €100bn in pension assets by 2025

first_imgHowever, he emphasised that the growth objective was “not a question of being aggressive” or competing against other countries, but about growing the second pillar and taking a part of the additional assets.  The EU’s latest triennial pension adequacy report, published last year, showed that Europe faced “a major challenge… to avoid retirement poverty”, he said.According to PensioPlus, 19 cross-border pension vehicles have been established in the country. Information maintained by FSMA, the Belgian financial markets supervisor, showed these pension funds were active in countries including Cyprus, Greece, Ireland, the Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland.According to FSMA, at the end of 2017 the total balance sheet of pension funds in Belgium stood at €35bn, up 18% from the year before. Asset transfers from foreign pension scheme providers played a big part in this growth.Speaking to IPE’s sister title Pensioen Pro, Neyt said there were a number of countries that could transfer pension funds to Belgium using cross-border rules introduced under IORP regulations. This was despite new restrictions brought in last year in the Netherlands in an attempt to raise the bar for such transfers.Aon last week relaunched a plan to switch the Pensioenfonds Aon Groep Nederland to Belgium – although it must now obtain the backing of at least two thirds of its members. Credit: Joaquin Aranoa Brussels, BelgiumInvestment returnsBelgian pension funds lost 3.2% on their investments in 2018, PensioPlus reported, although this result was more than offset by performance in the first quarter of 2019.The association said stronger financial market conditions at the beginning of this year meant investments run by domestic pension funds had gained 2.2% by the end of February.PensioPlus also suggested that the 2018 result was a snapshot of “little significance”, with pension funds’ investment performance needing to be analysed over the long-term. Over 34 years Belgian pension funds’ invested assets had gained 4.4% a year net of inflation, it reported.Funds were also in a “very strong” funding position as at the end of 2018, PensioPlus said: based on figures from the end of 2017, the short-term funding ratio was 137% and the long-term funding ratio was 114%.Every year PensioPlus surveys domestic pension funds about their investment performance and asset allocation. The latest survey captured 63 workplace pension funds with €22.6bn in assets under management, representing 64% of the sector. Belgium’s workplace pension fund association would like to see the country’s schemes hold a collective €100bn assets under management by 2025 – more than twice as much as they currently manage.Philip Neyt, president of PensioPlus, told IPE the objective was not “far-fetched”. Inflows into Belgian pension funds were still larger than outflows, and there was also scope for the second pillar sector to grow further in the public sector, where many employees – as opposed to civil servants – did not have access to workplace pension funds.  In addition, a growing population of mobile Europeans would appeal to pan-European pension funds, which were also attractive to multi-national corporations from an efficiency and oversight perspective, according to Neyt. Belgium has emerged as the primary domicile of choice for pan-European schemes.Neyt said that pan-European pension funds in Belgium currently accounted for around 25% of the sector’s €40bn in assets under management, with the expectation that this would increase to around half by 2025.last_img read more

Offensive Wicked Campers ‘disappear’ following censor ban

first_imgStuff co.nz 20 January 2017Family First Comment: To those who say we should just be quiet because we’re simply giving them profile, we say – for evil to succeed, it just takes good people to do or say nothing. Here’s the proof.Wicked Campers became known as a brash, unapologetic company that built its reputation on offensive slogans plastered across its vehicles.But almost a year on from a nationwide furore that saw the Chief Censor ban a handful of its vans from the road, the feeling is that the company has been somewhat tamed.“They are not like they used to be 12 months ago,” said Golden Bay’s Pohara Campground assistant manager Leigh Johnson. “It think they have toned it down.”Last year, three of Wicked Campers’ most offensive vehicles were banned from New Zealand’s roads, following a landmark ruling from the Classification Office. It was the first time the office had made a decision about a vehicle.It meant that the vans were banned from public places in New Zealand and Wicked could face a fine of up to $200,000 per offence if it continued to use them.READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/88576142/Offensive-Wicked-Campers-disappear-following-censor-banlast_img read more

Locals asked to police the Waitukubuli National Trial

first_img Share Sharing is caring! Share Hikers on Segment 2 of the WNT yesterday. Director of Forestry Michinton Burton says community participation is essential to the management of the Waitikubuli National Trial Project.Burton was speaking at a ceremony on Sunday to officially declare segment 1-2 of the Waitikubuli National Trail open.He says the new facility will not only be an addition to Dominica’s tourism thrust but it will also create opportunities for members of the communityWe must recognize the importance of community participation in terms of harness and managing the resource. Now is the time to come together and assist in terms of the management of the trail,” he said.Burton is also calling on residents to police the trial.“We have been hearing about vandalism and incidents of waste disposal and we need to ensure that we police the trail,” he said.Dominica Vibes News Tweetcenter_img 14 Views   no discussions LocalNews Locals asked to police the Waitukubuli National Trial by: – June 6, 2011 Sharelast_img read more

Raiders Middle School Basketball Results

first_imgSouth Ripley at JCD Boys Middle School Basketball Results.Grade 7-JCD 36 SR 25.The host Eagles were able to pull away in the second half and defeat the Raiders 36-25. Zach Gentile paced the visitors with 15 points while Ryan Miller scored 10. Nick Schwarte had several rebounds and contributed a great defensive effort, as did the whole team in holding the high powered Eagles to 36 points.Grade 8-SR 45 JCD 38In a fiercely contested battle, the visiting Raiders were able to come away with a 45-38 victory. After a 14-8 first quarter lead, South Ripley enjoyed a 23-15 lead at halftime. However, the home team rallied to cut the lead to three at the end of the 3rd period 32-29, out scoring the visitors 14-9. But the Raiders kept their composure, winning period four 13-9 and eventually outlasting the Eagles. Brady Linkel led an outstanding defensive effort with 8 rebounds and several hustle plays, as well as scoring a season high 7 points. Lane Sparks led all scorers with 17 points with several assists; Bryce Franklin added 11 points and 8 boards, Cody Samples 5 points and clutch ball handling late in the game, Dillon Binion 4, and Kaden Rinear one point.The seventh grade squad falls to 3-5 while the eighth grade pushes their record to 7-1. Both teams will be in action Thursday, hosting South Dearborn in a 5:30 tip.Courtesy of Raiders Coach Jeff Greiwe.last_img read more

Baked Kale Chips

first_imgIngredientsKaleOlive Oil SpraySaltDirectionsPreheat oven to 350 FChop kalespread out on a baking sheetSpray with oil spray and season with salt.Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp.last_img

Gerrard ‘will end career at Liverpool’

first_img Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has confirmed he will hold talks with Gerrard over a new contract and is convinced he can play into his late 30s. Carragher, who is retiring at the end of the season, admits striker Luis Suarez is now close to rivalling Gerrard as the best player he has played alongside for the Reds. The spot-kick against Villa was awarded for a challenge on Suarez who shrugged off the tiredness from his World Cup qualifier exertions and travelling with Uruguay to produce another dynamic performance. Carragher said: “Every side has a couple of players in the side you hope can turn things for you and Luis does it on a weekly basis. I’ve played with a lot of top players here and I’ve always said Stevie was the best player I’ve played with. But Luis is definitely on his shoulder, he is very close.” Liverpool came from behind to win a Barclays Premier League game for the first time in two years with Jordan Henderson cancelling out Villa striker Christian Benteke’s opener. It was their third victory in four games but Carragher is playing down talk of challenging for a European spot. He said: “Winning that game (against Villa) now makes Southampton look like a blip because we were on a good run. But I don’t really look too far ahead and to be honest if you asked most of the lads, they wouldn’t even know what position would get us into Europe.” Gerrard, 32, deservedly won the man of the match award in Liverpool’s 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Sunday and scored the winner from the penalty spot. Carragher said: “I’m sure Stevie will sign a contract and finish his career at Liverpool the way I’ve done. There is no doubt about that. I’m sure he’ll sit down and sort it out in the next couple of months. Steve will be finishing his career at Liverpool. He is ‘captain fantastic’ every week.” Jamie Carragher believes Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard will follow his example and end his career at Anfield by signing a new contract.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more