Kingston College’s Yashawn Hamilton was always confident he would be on the medal podium for the long jump Class Two event this year.Hamilton, a second year Class Two athlete, had to contest to 200 metres preliminaries at the same time he was competing in the long jump final. He will also be participate in the 100 metres.However, the youngster, who won the event with a leap of 7.01 metres ahead of Excelsior High’s Joel Morgan and Calabar High’s Kristoffe Clifford, said he has to be mentally strong to perform and deliver the points he is expected to contribute to his school, who are depending heavily on his points to reclaim the Champs trophy.”I wasn’t surprised I won. I know I was a finalist last year so I just came out, did my best and ensure that I was on the medal podium,” he said. “But I have to be mentally strong because I have a lot of events, so I didn’t get to do the rest of my jumps. I don’t know what would happen after those jumps because I had the 200 just after the third round (long jump).”I have the 100 metres too, so I carry a lot of points for my team and I have to ensure that we win the Champs. I was expected to come third (long jump), but I went out and did my best and got gold. I was looking at 7.3 the least, so the jump wasn’t my best, but I listened to my coach and did my best,” he added.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC): For the first time since the inception of the ICC Champions Trophy, the West Indies’ name was missing from the fixture list which organisers announced for the 2017 edition on Wednesday. The Caribbean side, who won the event in 2004 in England, failed to qualify for the tournament last year as they were not among the top eight one-day international teams at the September 30, 2015 cut-off date. Minnows Bangladesh and the embattled Pakistan, sneaked in to gain qualification ahead of West Indies. World champions, Australia, head Group A, while reigning Champions Trophy kings, India, headline Group B for the tournament set to run from June 1-18 next year. “The ICC Champions Trophy is a short and sharp event, which is followed and enjoyed by the spectators and players alike,” said ICC chief executive, Dave Richardson. “The ICC Champions Trophy 2017 is not just an ODI competition, it carries a great deal of value since it is being played just three months before the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 qualification cut-off date. As such, every point earned here could be crucial. “The announcement of the ICC Champions Trophy schedule 12 months before the start of the event will provide sufficient time to all eight sides to plan for the tournament and arrive in England and Wales fully prepared and geared up so that they can collect enough points to directly qualify for the 2019 extravaganza.” Hosts England will raise the curtain on the tournament with a clash against Bangladesh at the Oval in Group A, which also includes New Zealand. India, meanwhile, will start their campaign against perennial rivals Pakistan on June 4 at Edgbaston. Group B also includes Sri Lanka and South Africa.
The Ebola Coordinator of the European Union (EU), Mr. Christos Stylianides, has warned Liberia and its neighbors, who are bearing the brunt of the Ebola Virus Disease outbreak, not to be complacent in the fight against the disease, but rather exert more vigilance to ensure that it is eradicated as soon as possible.Though there are positive signals that the Ebola disease is retreating in some parts of Liberia, which is a clear indication that the Liberian Government is doing much to stop the disease, it would be a serious mistake to let the guard down, Mr. Stylianides cautioned.“All of us – Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, EU and all partners – must remain on the alert,” he warned, adding that the responsibility is collective and everyone must work hand in hand.The EU Ebola Coordinator, who is also the Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management, spoke last Friday when he held a joint press meeting with President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in the foyer of the Foreign Ministry in Monrovia.Mr. Stylianides was leading a high-level EU delegation to Liberia including EU Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, Mr. Vytenis Andriukaitis.The press briefing was preceded by a closed-door meeting with President Sirleaf.The EU Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management boss, on behalf of the organization, expressed his solidarity to the Government and people of Liberia and assured President Sirleaf that “Europe’s solidarity is real and tangible.”Mr. Stylianides said his delegation is in Liberia to listen to the concerns of Government, including the challenges faced with, to see the needs of the people and to assess the situation.President Sirleaf lauded the European Union (EU) for its many interventions in the post-conflict recovery process of Liberia.She used the opportunity to congratulate Mr. Stylianides for his preferment and welcomed his delegation to Liberia. She briefed them on the current status of the fight against the deadly Ebola virus.She recounted the EU’s contribution to all of the country’s major development projects since the end of the civil war, ranging from direct budgetary support, energy, infrastructure, health, education, and more recently the fight against the Ebola virus disease. President Sirleaf stressed that going forward, international assistance will be most urgently required in strengthening the healthcare system as well as overall support for the government’s National Economic Recovery Plan in the post-Ebola era. She expressed the hope that the EU would be a partner to rely on in this regard.She particularly requested the EU’s support in changing the Ebola response by targeting more attention and support to communities, integrating the Ebola intervention with the public and regular healthcare services and support to the government’s energy program.For his part, Commissioner Andriukaitis said only cooperation and a common action plan at the community, county, state will defeat the Ebola virus disease and begin the recovery process which will restore the confidence of the people.He thanked the Liberian Government for developing the community-based approach to tackling the further spread of the disease as well as developing and strengthening primary healthcare.According to an Executive Mansion statement, Finance and Development Planning Minister Amara Konneh, during the closed-door meeting, gave a special update on the impact of the disease on the economy, which reflected a 20 percent decline in revenues. He outlined the National Economic Recovery Plan for the post-Ebola period.Dr. Emmanuel Dolo, Presidential Youth Advisor, provided updates on the specific interventions and current status of the fight against the further spread of the virus.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Lauding the Government and people of Japan for financing the project, Lonnie Herring of WFP re-emphasized the Organization’s commitment to helping Liberia arrive safely at the 2030 zero hunger target by assisting and supporting smallholder producers within the framework of the Government’s development agenda. “The assets we help you create, the food you produce, the income you generate are all yours. None for WFP, Samaritan’s Purse or the Ministry of Agriculture, it’s all yours”, he assured them.Lowland sites visited Thursday by WFP and Samaritan’s Purse included Gbarnga’s Millionaire Quarter, Dahn, Suakoko, Gbondoi, and SKT communities where rehabilitation of old lowland assets and creation of new ones were rapidly progressing.Implemented through Samaritan’s Purse Liberia, a development and humanitarian NGO, the Smallholder Agriculture Development Project (SHAD-P) is funded by the Government of Japan to enhance agriculture and capacity building of smallholder producers, while aiming to support the Government’s strategies of fighting poverty and food insecurity through staple food production.Overall ownership and supervision of this six-month project is with the Government of Liberia. The effort is also geared towards assisting rural women and youth from approximately 1,200 households to become sustainable farmers and gradually increasing access to improved farming inputs and agro-processing technologies among others.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Sackie Kollie Town Site beneficiaries are working with Samaritan Purse technicians to improve lowlands under SHAD-ProjectRecently, a team of World Food program (WFP) and Samaritan’s Purse co-workers were greeted to a friendly welcome by farmers of the Gbuyah Swamp Project on the outskirts of Suakoko, Bong County.It was food distribution day or, as one farmer put it, “rice pay day” for members who have achieved the required work output for one month in developing community assets (lowlands) under the Smallholder Agriculture Development Project (SHAD-P) in Bong County. Many of the nearly 90-strong farmer organization members were there in strength.“This time around we, especially the farmers, have to work to succeed because help will not always come. Now that this help has come, we must do all we can to grow the food we eat,” Bong County Agriculture Coordinator, Kollie R. Nahn, said.“What we need to work hard is motivation and encouragement and we see it right here in front of us with this rice, oil, and beans. I pledge to you today that we will not fail you our supporters”, stated Saydee J.M. Lincoln, the group’s manager, also a farmer. Blameyea Town food distribution point
Rice farmers in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) are likely to earn less from their yields this crop. This is as a result of the prediction that the quality of rice produced is likely to be poor as a result of a paddy bug infestation.There are 58,000 acres under rice cultivation in the region and the only areas spared are the East Bank along with East and West Canje, leaving 95 per cent of the production area exposed to the insects.The bugs damage rice by sucking out the contents of developing grains from pre-flowering spikelets to soft dough stage, therefore causing unfilled or empty grains and discolouration.Region Chairman David Armogan told the Regional Democratic Council on Friday that the infestation has worsened in the region. After the meeting, he explained at a press conference that Black Bush Polder is one of the worst affected areas.“It is happening also in the front lands as well where there is a paddy bud infestation in the region.”Region Six Chairman David ArmoganHe said the Guyana Rice Development Board (GRDB) has been made aware of the situation with the aim of getting recommendations on the type of insecticides which could be effectively used.Several insecticides have been used in the past put the bugs have become resistant to them preventing farmers from exterminating them.“There are some new chemicals on the market and they are looking at them but it is going to affect the crop because the quality of the paddy will be reduced and as a result of that they will get less money from the millers because millers pay based on the quality of the paddy they received,” Armogan said.While productions levels might be the same as last crop. More than 500,000 tonnes of paddy was produced during the last crop resulting in excess of tonnes of rice.Armogan, who met with officials from the rice sector on Wednesday, says it is not dooms day for rice farmers.“At that meeting the RPA [Rice Producers Association] President did indicate to us that there is a new chemical that he has been using and he has been getting excellent results from it so it might be interdicted to the other farmers,” the Chairman highlighted. (Andrew Carmichael)
“It’s crazy. I don’t even know how to feel because I literally didn’t think I’d do this well in my fourth tournament back,” said Williams.Victory on Saturday will give her an eighth Wimbledon title and 24th Grand Slam crown, taking her level with Margaret Court’s all-time mark.It’s a staggering achievement for Williams, who defeated Kerber in the 2016 final before sitting out the 2017 tournament to prepare for parenthood.Her daughter Olympia was born in September but Williams then underwent emergency surgery to prevent life-threatening blood clots.She was bed-ridden for six weeks and only returned to the tour in March.“This is not inevitable for me, I had a really tough delivery and multiple surgeries and almost didn’t make it to be honest,” said Williams after her semi-final victory on Thursday.“I couldn’t even walk to my mailbox, so it’s definitely not normal for me to be in a Wimbledon final. I’m just enjoying every moment.”Seeded 25 this year and with a world ranking of 181, Williams insists she will be the underdog against Kerber on Saturday despite boasting a 6-2 career lead over the 30-year-old left-hander.“I don’t have anything to lose and I feel I can play so free. That’s what I’m doing,” said Williams.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Serena Williams celebrates after beating Julia Goerges 6-2, 6-4 © AFP / Oli SCARFFLONDON, United Kingdom, Jul 12 – Serena Williams said “it’s crazy” that she has managed to reach a 10th Wimbledon final, 10 months after life-saving surgery which followed her pregnancy.The 36-year-old American eased past Germany’s Julia Goerges 6-2, 6-4 and will face another German, Angelique Kerber in Saturday’s final, her 30th Grand Slam championship match.
Paul Merson believes Kyle Walker has been the best player at Euro 2016 so far.The likes of Dimitri Payet and Andres Iniesta have grabbed the headlines in France but Merson claims the Spurs full-back deserves similar recognition.Walker has been outstanding in England’s opening two Group B games against Russia and Wales.And Merson believes that Walker is now so important for the Three Lions that he must be rested against Slovakia on Monday night to keep him fresh for the knockout stages.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the ex-Arsenal and Three Lions star said: “I think Walker should get a rest. I think he has been the best player in the tournament if I’m being honest.“He has been absolutely outstanding. Bombing up and down the right, you need him fresh. He has definitely been our best player in the tournament.”
Jorginho has played eight times for Italy Jorginho is one of the best passers in Serie A Since making his name in Italy he has been touted as the heir to Andrea Pirlo, a player he idolised along with Kaka and Xavi.As a player he likes to be in the thick of the action and dictate play in front of the defence.He only made his Italy debut in 2016 and so far has played eight times. 2 2 There is a verbal agreement between Manchester City and Napoli for the transfer of Jorginho, the player’s agent has claimed.Joao Santos believes that despite nothing being signed yet, a deal may still happen next week.“Jorginho is now in Fortaleza with his family on vacation,” he told Calcio Napoli 24 Live.“In football you need signed documents, without this you can do little.“We have a verbal agreement with City, now we are waiting for Napoli to find the agreement and Manchester [City] to define the deal. Everything depends on this aspect, next week could be the one.”Manager Pep Guardiola has been keen to add the 26-year-old Italy international to his Premier League winning side and fees ranging between £40m and £60m have been mentioned.Jorginho was born in Brazil, but moved to Italy when he was young and made his name at Verona before joining Napoli in 2014.name at Verona before joining Napoli in 2014.
Isa Arthur shows the phonewires which the gang pulled from the wall. Picture copyright Donegal Daily.EXCLUSIVE: This is one of the two sisters brutally attacked in her home in Raphoe by three cowardly raiders.Isa Arthur, 91, fought back tears at her home in Feddyglass as she recounted her ordeal to Donegal Daily today.Isa and her sister Suzy were set upon in broad daylight just after 5pm yesterday. Suzy was thrown to the ground by the raiders who broke her hip.She is recovering in hospital while Isa said she has not slept since the ordeal.Isa revealed that the same men called to the home a couple of hours previously asking if they could paint their house and she kindly gave them a drink of water.The sisters’ home at FeddyglassHowever, the men returned and attacked the frail sisters demanding to know where they kept their cash and valuables. Isa (Isabelle) revealed “I was out in the garden and when I came in they shoved me into the living room. I saw Suzy on the ground and she couldn’t get up.“I tried to shout that I was getting the gun but they were too strong for me. I just wished I had more strength to fight back.“They searched the house looking for stuff and they ransacked Suzy’s bedroom but we don’t have anything.”Isa made her way down to the main Lifford to Raphoe road in her stocking feet and managed to flag down a passing car.The people took Isa back up to her house and called an ambulance for Suzy (Susanna) who as rushed immediately to Letterkenny General Hospital 10 miles away. She is still awaiting surgery after suffering a suspected broken hip in the raid.Isa revealed she didn’t have time to press a panic alarm button as the raiders pulled the phoneline out of the wall in the sitting room.Isa said she thought the men spoke with local accents and they did not wear masks but had stockings on their hands.Fighting back tears, the partially deaf pensioner said “If only we had been able to tell someone then the guards might have caught them.” Inspector Goretti Sheridan from Letterkenny Garda station appealed for information on the incident, saying a UK-registered Ford Focus was seen acting suspiciously in the area at the time.She appealed for anyone with information to call detectives immediately on 074 91 67100.“This was a particularly nasty aggravated burglary and we would ask anyone with information to come forward as soon as possible,” she said.ELDERLY PENSIONER REVEALS HER TERROR AT HANDS OF RAIDERS was last modified: July 2nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:burglaryFEDDYGLASSGardaiISA ARTHURraidRaphoeSUZU ARTHUR
Naomh Colmcille held their annual dinner dance which was a huge success.The special guest on the night was Donegal GAA star Mark McHugh.Among the many awards made was to John Fullerton who received the Young reserve player of the year award, as well as Conor Grant who received the most improved player for the reserves. Thomas McKinley and Willie Gillespie received recognition awards to mark their involvment with the Donegal senior and minor teams.Sean and Mary Grant accepted an award on behalf of their son, Liam, to mark his recent selection as an Asian Gulf Games All-Star recipient. NAOMH COLMCILLE DINNER DANCE – PICTURE SPECIAL was last modified: November 24th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dinner danceNaomh Colmcille