More than 1,000 crewmen had arrived back in the country by Wednesday. The foreign ministry confirmed that 963 crewmen had been repatriated by April 2 on commercial and charter flights funded by their cruise operators.These included more than 200 Indonesian crewmen of the MSC Fantasia crew who arrived over the weekend in Denpasar, Bali, flying from Lisbon on Air Europa flight AE672 after disembarking in Portugal, where the cruise ship carrying 1,338 passengers had made port.On the last day of March, 316 Indonesian crewmen of the MSC Splendida arrived by plane in Denpasar from Genoa, Italy, considered the epicenter of the European pandemic.Read also: Cruise ship responsible for jump in Australia coronavirus cases The ministry’s data shows that an estimated 12,748 Indonesians work as crew members aboard 89 cruise ships around the world operated by 10 major cruise operators.The crewmen’s repatriation has given rise to worries of potential imported cases, as international cruise liners like Diamond Princess, World Dream, Westerdam and Zaandam emerged as “hot spots” of COVID-19 infectionThe International Rescue Committee (IRC) reported that COVID-19 transmission occurred four times faster aboard Diamond Princess than during the peak of the outbreak in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus was first detected.As many as 712 out of the more than 3,700 passengers and crew aboard Diamond Princess contracted the virus during its two-month quarantine in Yokohama, Japan.Despite concerns over compounding the outbreak in Indonesia, the foreign ministry said the government could not lawfully prevent its citizens from returning to the country, citing the 2011 Immigration Law. It added, however, that authorities could ramp up efforts to detect the disease upon their arrival.All repatriated citizens are required to undergo all necessary health protocols at their port of entry, where health officials will take their body temperature, check them for symptoms and test them for the virus using rapid testing kits.Returnees who tested positive for the virus are quarantined at their port of entry, while those who tested negative are advised to self-quarantine for 14 days at home.“We will facilitate the needs of Indonesian citizens who have decided to come home, but they must obey the protocol so they won’t spread the virus,” said the Foreign Ministry’s overseas citizen protection director, Judha Nugraha.Read also: COVID-19: Govt to allocate Rp 100 billion to protect Indonesians abroadLawmakers, however, expressed their doubt over current measures.Effendy Simbolon of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) pointed out the often lax implementation of health protocols at Indonesian ports.“There is an inconsistency in the protocol as imposed on [Indonesians] and the government’s [effort]. It is very relaxed,” he said on Tuesday at a working meeting between House Commission I on foreign affairs and the ministry.“The protocol as imposed on arrivals [aboard] international airlines, for instance, is extremely loose,” he noted.The commission has asked the government to impose more stringent screening at all ports of entry in the country.Topics : Ninety-two Indonesian crewmen aboard a number of international cruise liners had tested positive for COVID-19 as of Wednesday morning, the Foreign Ministry indicated on a map of all affected Indonesians abroad on its official Twitter account.The tweeted map also noted that all were “stable”.Hi #Diplomates, attached is the Global #COVID19 Update and Indonesian Citizen Protection as of 08/04; 08.00 Western Indonesian Time.The map shows active COVID-19 Cases of Indonesian Citizen Abroad.#IndonesianWay pic.twitter.com/oiT17RiHj5— MoFA Indonesia (@Kemlu_RI) April 8, 2020Even so, the government still allowed hundreds of other crewmen to return to the country, as many cruise operators had halted their operations in response to the pandemic. The crewmen’s return has raised concerns over whether this could worsen the disease’s spread across the archipelago.
A joint task force arrested the vessels Lu Huang Yuan Yu 117 and Lu Huang Yuan Yu 118 off the coast of Riau Islands last week, following a report of the death of an Indonesian crew member aboard one of the ships.Read also: Indonesia reiterates concern about alleged mistreatment of crewmen on Chinese vesselsHasan’s body was found in the freezer of the Lu Huang Yuan Yu 117. He is believed to have been a victim of human trafficking.Tanjung Pinang Naval Base commander Cdre. Indarto Budiaro said there were strong signs that both vessels were involved in human trafficking, money laundering and physical abuse. In May, a video on Facebook appeared to show a group of sailors on another Chinese vessel, the Lu Qing Yuan Yu 623, throwing the body of an Indonesian sailor into the sea. Prior to that, there was public outrage at the death of four Indonesian sailors registered to another Chinese fishing ship.The NGO Destructive Fishing Watch has alleged that 30 Indonesian crewmen have been subject of exploitation aboard Chinese fishing vessels between November 2019 and June this year, including seven who have died and three who are missing. (kmt)Topics : Riau Islands Police have arrested a supervisor of a Chinese fishing vessel in connection with the death of an Indonesian crew member.Riau Islands Police general crimes director Sr. Comr. Arie Darmanto said that the supervisor, a 50-year-old Chinese national named Song Chuan Yun, was suspected of physically abusing Indonesian crew member Hasan Apriadi, who was found dead aboard the Chinese fishing vessel Lu Huang Yuan Yu 117 last week.“The suspect and the evidence have been secured at the Riau Islands Police general crimes division headquarters for further investigation,” Arie told The Jakarta Post on Monday.
The Argentine shot-stopper is on the verge of leaving the Gunners (Picture: Getty Images)Emiliano Martinez’s agent has confirmed the Arsenal goalkeeper is set to leave the north London club as he targets a number one role elsewhere to secure his place in the Argentina team.The 28-year-old came into the Arsenal side after the restart, replacing the injured Bernd Leno, and performed brilliantly as the side lifted the FA Cup.However, with the German now back from injury, Mikel Arteta intends to reinstate Leno as his number one and has been unable to give Martinez any assurances over game time. Advertisement Emiliano Martinez’s agent explains why the Arsenal star is looking to leave Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 12 Sep 2020 9:25 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link700Shares Martinez wants to play every week to secure his place in the Argentina team (Picture: Getty)‘We have some really good players in many different positions. Some of them are complicated and obviously, clubs come to us and they are interested in our players,’ said the Spaniard.‘It is very difficult to promise players game time or to be the first choice. It is part of this period in the market. We try to manage the situation as well as we can, all the time counting on what the players’ expectations are, what we can achieve with them as a club and we are making decisions towards that.’Arsenal are believed to be interested in signing Brentford goalkeeper David Raya as Martinez’s replacement, though the Championship club insist he is not for sale.MORE: Emiliano Martinez to be left out of Arsenal squad as Brighton better Aston Villa’s bid for goalkeeperMORE: Arsenal make improved verbal offer for Odsonne Edouard as Alexandre Lacazette seeks moveFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Martinez played brilliantly as Arsenal won their 14th FA Cup last season (Picture: Getty)Aston Villa have already lodged a £15million offer for the Argentine – which is short of Arsenal’s asking price – while Brighton have recently emerged as contenders for his signature.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMartinez will not be in the starting XI when Arsenal take on Fulham on Saturday in the first game of the new Premier League season, and his agent says the keeper’s desire to move is being driven by his hopes of being Argentina’s number one.‘The most likely scenario is that Emi Martinez leaves Arsenal because he wants to play,’ the shot-stopper’s agent, Lucas Martinez Quarta, told TyC Sports.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘He dreams of being the starting goalkeeper for the national team and he is willing to leave his home [at Arsenal] for the worthy cause of being Argentina’s number one.’Arteta was asked about the possibility of Martinez leaving at his pre-match press conference and hinted that the goalkeeper’s push for regular first-team football could prompt his exit. Advertisement