15 May 2006Mindset Cabanga has installed satellite dishes, computers and television sets in 50 schools, bringing multimedia educational resources to children in four provinces.Mindset Network – the satellite television network responsible for the project – will deliver free primary school educational materials to selected schools in KwaZulu Natal, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape and Limpopo through satellite technology.Mindset Cabanga (isiZulu for “think” ) is aimed at improving mathematics, science and technology education in under-resourced schools.The project was officially launched by education minister Naledi Pandor at Riversands Primary on Friday.Pandor said it was her intention to use technology to respond to “many gaps in the education system.”“Technology is flexible, adaptable and potentially user friendly,” she said.“Cabanga resources offer a teacher improved competence and a child opportunities for self teaching,” she said.It is broadcast at various times to suit schools and also allows for home viewing. The first channel of the Mindset Network, Activate, broadcasts on DStv channel 82.Also at the launch was the United State’s acting ambassador Don Teitelbaum, as the project was funded by the Africa Education Initiative and USAID’s Global Development Alliance.Approximately R22 million was set aside for this initiative with additional funds coming from the private sector.Teitelbaum said that the quality educational resources to learners and educators offered by the project content’s could bridge years of neglect and literally leapfrog schools from resources scarce environment to exciting technological advance centres for learning.This project will also be launched in 20 primary schools in Kenya next year with the content provided in Swahili.Source: BuaNews Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
27 August 2009South African state transport company Transnet says it remains committed to an R80-billion capital investment programme over the next five years, despite the recession, and expects to spend a record R21-billion in the current financial year.Releasing its annual report last week, the company said it spent R19.4-billion in the financial year ended 31 March, bringing to R53.3-billion the total amount invested over the last four years.“This is cumulatively more than the total capital expenditure of the core business divisions in the previous 15 years,” the company said in a statement, adding that capital investment over the next three years would amount to R57.7-billion.Transnet expects up to R35.4-billion of this amount to be financed through borrowings and debt capital markets, while the rest will be financed by cash generated from operations.The company said the capital investment programme, which forms part of the government’s economic stimulus measures, is one of its success stories.“The records we have set since we launched our investment programme are a source of great pride, not only for Transnet, but for South Africa as a whole,” said Transnet chairman Fred Phaswana. “Few companies have the capacity to manage a programme as large as we have.”Creating capacityIn line with the company’s growth strategy, there has been a discernable shift in spending patterns towards creating capacity ahead of demand.The bulk of the year’s spend – 56% or R11-billion – was spent on expanding operations, while the balance (44% or R8.5-billion) was spent on replacing existing infrastructure.Rail was by far the biggest beneficiary, with some R9.2-billion or 47% of the total, followed by ports, which invested R7.3-billion, and pipelines, which invested R2.8-billion.The latter mainly went to the purchase of pipes, pumps and valves for the new multi-product pipeline being built to replace the existing pipeline between Durban and Gauteng province.Transnet acting CEO Chris Wills explained that the company had reviewed its entire capital investment programme, and had taken the necessary steps to respond to the deteriorating economic environment, though the major and strategically significant projects, most of which were under way, were proceeding as planned.“This confirms our commitment to invest in our infrastructure to create, in a cost-effective manner, appropriate capacity for our clients ahead of demand,” he said. “Given the current drop in demand as a result of global economic conditions, we will implement a delayed phasing-in of certain investments.”“However, we will remain focused on priority projects where capacity is needed to prepare for the upturn when demand improves.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
19 September 2013 South Africa’s overall crime rate continues to decline, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa said at the release of the 2012/13 national crime statistics in Pretoria on Thursday. Mthethwa said that the level of contact crime in South Africa decreased by 4.2% in 2012/13 compared to the year before, by 16% compared to four years ago, and by 38.2% compared to nine years ago. The country’s murder rate, however, was up slightly, by 0.6%, compared to the previous year – even though it as still 16.6% down on four years ago and 27.2% lower than it was nine years ago. Attempted murders, meanwhile, spiked by 6.5% year-on-year in 2012. Mthethwa said that rapes were down by 0.4% compared to a year ago, and by 3.3% compared to the levels of four years ago, but that these figures were still unacceptably high. Overall, crimes against women decreased by 11.1% compared to four years ago, from 197 877 to 175 880 cases. Mthethwa said there were 896 298 serious crime arrests in 2012/13 compared to 777 140 in 2011/12. Convictions for serious crimes totalled 352 513, compared to 307 580 the year before. Mthethwa said the year had been characterised by growing unity in action against crime, together with a focus on improving living conditions for all, especially the poor. He said the statistics showed that police interventions were having the desired results, but that there was still a long way to go to rid South Africa of crime. “Our journey since apartheid gives us confidence that we will reach a crime-free society,” he said. Source: SAnews.gov.za
SharePrint RelatedGroundspeak Weekly Newsletter – October 19, 2011October 19, 2011In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”New Geocaching.com Android App Update: Version 2.0May 18, 2011In “Community”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – March 30, 2011March 30, 2011In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter” Version 4.5 of the Geocaching iPhone Application Now AvailableThe Geocaching iPhone Application allows you to search for, navigate to and log geocaches all from the convenience of your iPhone.Version 4.5 of the application, available this week on iTunes, includes a newly implemented advanced search feature. Advanced search allows users to search by location, cache type, keyword, and difficulty and terrain ratings. You can also exclude your finds from search results and filter out the finds of up to four friends. This feature makes it easy for those geocaching in a group to identify which caches no one in the group has found. Premium Members also have the ability to filter the search results so that they can easily identify Premium Member only caches.This update also simplifies the planning of geocaching outings. Choose a cache that you want to find and add it to one of your multiple allowed lists – such as “caches for the weekend” or “caches near work.” The cache will be added to the list and saved so that you can access it while outside of network coverage.The latest version of the Geocaching iPhone Application is now available on iTunes.Share with your Friends:More
OTTAWA — In a Five Things item June 17 about the Trans Mountain expansion, The Canadian Press described diluted bitumen — a chemically modified form of the primary resource from Alberta’s oilsands — as being more expensive to produce than conventional crude oil. It also said bitumen must be mined, rather than pumped out of oil wells, and that Asia lacks refineries that are capable of handling bitumen.The piece should have noted that oilsands proponents argue production costs have declined in recent years, and that so-called “in-situ” production — using steam injected underground to allow the product to be pumped to the surface — now generates more than half of the output. It also should have acknowledged that a number of refiners in Asia have new facilities designed to handle heavy and sour grades of crude oil, which is how diluted bitumen is classified.The item also described the expansion as being capable of carrying 590,000 barrels per day of bitumen; in fact, the additional capacity is 540,000 barrels per day, which is expected to create 50,000 barrels of additional capacity on the original line.The Canadian Press
MONTREAL – The Montreal Port Authority says it has crossed a key milestone in its plans to grow its container-handling capacity in order to stay competitive with large American ports.The authority says it has submitted its plans to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency and will be part of a public consultation, with information sessions beginning at the end of the month.It says for several years it has been planning a container terminal on its land in Contrecoeur on Montreal’s South Shore, a land reserve it acquired between 1988 and 1992.The MPA says this is a strategic location for container handling because of its favourable geometry, nearby rail and road networks and the proximity of the markets it serves.The MPA says the project submitted to the assessment agency will make it possible, when completed, for the port to handle 1.14 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) per year.Project lead Daniel Dagenais says the additional port space will allow the MPA to make the most of the economic and commercial opportunities arising from emerging markets, the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement and the Quebec Maritime Strategy.Melanie Nadeau, director of communications for the Montreal Port Authority, says the project’s value is estimated at $750 million.
ORIGINAL POSTFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — A number of eyewitnesses are reporting that Highway 97 is closed at the top of the South Taylor Hill because of a collision.The first report came in at 4:55 p.m. from Peace River South MLA Mike Bernier, who was driving on Highway 97 headed to the Fort St. John Airport. Bernier said that the crash, which involved a pickup truck and a semi-truck, had occurred just moments before he happened upon the scene. According to Bernier, the crash is located roughly 300 metres from the chain-up area at the top of the South Taylor Hill, and that emergency crews were just arriving on the scene when he arrived. He added that the crews at the scene have closed the highway in both directions.Several other motorists have also messaged Energeticcity.ca to report the crash, though at this point, there’s no word about the crash from DriveBC.ca or the RCMP. There were also no vehicles visible on the DriveBC highway cam at the top of the South Taylor Hill as of 5:06 p.m. MST. 12:30a.m. UPDATE – The Highway is open in both directions.11:00 p.m. UPDATE – Drivebc.ca still says the Highway will be closed until 3:30 a.m. Mountian time Monday. For updates throughout the night visit www.drivebc.ca9:30 p.m. UPDATE – Drivebc.ca continues to say the Highway will be closed until at least 3:30 a.m. Mountain time Monday. The next update on the status of the Highway will be issued at 11 p.m. 6:40 p.m. UPDATE – Drivebc.ca says the Highway will be closed until at least 3:30 a.m. Mountain time. The only detour they recommend is using the highways through Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope.6:00 p.m. UPDATE – Drivebc.ca says there is no current estimate on when the Highway will re-open. They list the best detour as going back through Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope.#BCHwy97 Closed 7km South of #TaylorBC due to vehicle incident. Detour available see: https://t.co/Ji95sHT9NK #YXJ #FortStJohn— Drive BC (@DriveBC) March 5, 20185:45 p.m. UPDATE – Eyewitnesses in the area of the collision say they are being told it will be several hours before the Highway will be open again. Official information about the closure or the collision has not been released as of yet by authorities.Here is a photo of the scene.This image was sent to Energeticcity.ca. This is a developing story, and we’ll have an update once we receive more information.
Bengaluru: Two people were killed and several others trapped when a four-storeyed under construction building collapsed at Dharwad in north Karnataka Tuesday, police said. The building came crashing down, triggering panic among neighbours and passers-by, a police official said. “Two have died while some 30 to 40 people are trapped,” said a police officer at Dharwad police station. Police said four people have been brought out from the debris while rescue operations are in full swing. As many as 10 ambulances and five fire tenders have beenengaged to carry out rescue and relief operations. Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy said he was shocked to learn about the collapse of the under construction building. Kumaraswamy said he has directed the chief secretary to supervise the rescue operation and to send experienced rescue teams by special flight toDharwad.
Beijing: The Chinese military on Thursday said it hopes all countries can take “real actions” to maintain lasting peace and stability in the outer space, a day after India successfully test-fired an anti-satellite missile by shooting down a live satellite. The test made India the fourth country in the world after the US, Russia and China to acquire the strategic capability to shoot down enemy satellites. Commenting on the development, Chinese Defence Ministry Spokesman Sr. Col Wu Qian told a media briefing: “We have read the related reports”. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM'”We hope all the countries can take real actions to protect lasting peace and stability in the outer space,” he said without referring to India. Soon after the test, China reacted guardedly and expressed hope that all countries will uphold peace and tranquillity in the outer space. The Chinese Foreign Ministry, in a written response to a question from PTI, said: “We have noticed reports and hope that each country will uphold peace and tranquillity in outer space”. China conducted such a test in January 2007 when its anti-satellite missile destroyed a defunct weather satellite. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KPrime Minister Modi said in New Delhi that the action was not directed against any country and the satellite was a pre-determined target orbiting at an altitude of 300 km. He said India did not breach any international laws or treaties by testing the anti-satellite missile. Mission Shakti, which was led by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, was aimed at strengthening India’s overall security, Modi said in his address that comes a fortnight before the start of the general election. In New Delhi, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in a statement that India has no intention of entering into an arms race in outer space.
Panaji: Late Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar’s sons Utpal Parrikar and Abhijat Parrikar have said that they would “honour his (Parrikar’s) life by continuing his legacy of service and dedication to the State and the Nation”. The public statement comes amid speculation that the late Chief Minister’s elder son Utpal Parrikar is likely to join active politics. In a joint letter, which was released to the media via the Chief Minister’s Office, both the brothers have also said that BJP karyakartas (cadres) were much closer to Parrikar than the two brothers and the bond, the letter says, became evident when the former Defence Minister passed away on March 17 following a prolonged battle with pancreatic cancer. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “We will honour his life by continuing his legacy of service and dedication to the State and the Nation,” the Parrikar brothers said in their open letter of appreciation, which expresses gratitude to the Goa government, the Central government, foreign diplomatic missions, the Indian armed forces, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, doctors who attended to the late Chief Minister, as well as the host of VIPs who attended Parrikar’s funeral on March 18. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K “We express our gratitude to the Governemnt of Goa, Government of India, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, BJP, coalition allies and members of other political parties,” the letter stated. “Above all we express our sincere gratitude to the thousands of karyakartas for their love and affection. You have been his pillars of strength throughout. We always knew that you and the people of Goa meant much more to him than even us and this bond was evident when he passed away,” the letter said. Speaking to reporters on Friday, Utpal Parrikar, who has been tipped to take over Manohar Parrikar’s political legacy, said that he would decide about joining politics in due time.