Messi Status in Buenos Aires Vandalised

first_imgThe statue was unveiled in June 2016 on Paseo de la Gloria, where casts of other famous Argentine sports stars such as tennis player Gabriela Sabatini and basketball player Manuel Ginobili are also on display.The space was created in preparation for the Olympic Youth Games which will be held in Buenos Aires in 2018.It has attracted vandals and thieves before, such as in January of this year, when the Messi statue was cut in half at the waist.Messi, who left Argentina in 2000 to play for Barcelona, has in the past come under criticism for his performance in the national team.While he has won four European Cups, eight league titles, five Ballons d’Or and three Club World Cups, Messi has not won a World Cup.His only international honour has been an Olympic gold at the 2008 Games in Beijing.Argentine football fans were ruthless in their criticism when he missed in a penalty shootout against Chile in the Copa America final in June 2016.Messi responded by announcing his retirement from international football, only to reverse that decision two months later citing his “love of the country”.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram A statue of Argentine football star Lionel Messi has been vandalised in the capital, Buenos Aires.The bronze statue was chopped off just above the ankles, with the main “body” left lying on the pavement..It is the second time the statue, which was unveiled in June 2016, has been targeted by vandals. Police said the motive was unclear.Messi recently saved Argentina’s 2018 World Cup place when he scored a hat-trick against Ecuador in October.Argentine media tweeted pictures of the vandalised statue.last_img read more

Baseball prepares to open season versus Coppin State

first_imgLocked in · Sophomore infielder Dillon Paulson will look to build on a strong freshman campaign in which he appeared in 40 of USC’s 56 games – Tal Volk | Daily TrojanAs the USC baseball team winds up for the new season starting this Friday against Coppin State, excitement and uncertainty is brewing in the air.“Opening day is always special because it’s the start of a new season,” senior outfielder Corey Dempster said. “Everything resets, a new lineup, everything is new. You can’t compare it to last year, you can’t look forward to next year, all that matters is opening day.”The Trojans lost 12 players from last year’s team in a record-breaking MLB Draft for USC. Former stars such as David Oppenheim and Jeremy Martinez, who provided excellent hitting and power, will need to be replaced with younger, more inexperienced bats. With a completely transformed lineup and pitching rotation that will likely evolve from game to game, freshman players will need to take on important roles.“They’re going to have to come off the bench to do well,” Dempster said. “They’re not going to think they have a big impact, but later in the season it always rolls around to them.“Definitely on the mound because our staff is so young, they’re going to have to step up in big spots. Get zeros, compete — that’s really all it’s about. Just go out there and give us a chance to win.”Despite a very young and reshaped roster, USC does have some familiar faces on this year’s squad. In addition to Dempster, who batted .290 last year with 10 stolen bases, redshirt junior infielder Frankie Rios (.323 batting average) and junior infielder Adalberto Carrillo (seven home runs) return to strengthen the top of the order. In terms of pitching, only junior Mitch Hart and sophomore Marrick Crouse started more than two games last season, but the bullpen will be aided by the arrival of Brock Larson, a senior transfer from University of San Francisco who pitched to a 4.28 ERA last season.“On the mound, I think whether it’s Mitch Hart or Brad Wegman or Marrick Crouse, we’re going to need those guys to really step up and be significant weekend starters in our league,” head coach Dan Hubbs said. “[And] you look at Adalberto Carrillo at third: He’s a plus defender at third and he has big, big power.”Last season, the Trojans finished an even 28-28 overall and 15-15 in conference play. This year, the team aims to find more consistency on its journey to once again become a national powerhouse.“We’ve started to put ’SC baseball back on the map, but I think this group is ready to make its mark,” Hubbs said. “They practice hard, they play hard and they’re going to play with a lot of energy and passion. I think it’ll be fun for students and fans to watch us play this year.”The team’s path begins Friday against the Coppin State Eagles, a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference team based in Baltimore. Last season, the Eagles finished 14-38, and they are four years removed from a 1-52 season. But regardless of the opposing team’s pedigree, the Trojans know that opening day will be special.“Just the fact that we’re getting back out onto the field,” Hubbs said. “I think that if you’re a Trojan fan, these kids will give you a lot to be proud of, and you’ll like the way we play. The style of play — it’s going to be exciting. It’s always fun when you get the opportunity to see a bunch of new guys out there.”USC kicks off its season on Friday, playing the first of a three-game set against the Eagles at Dedeaux Field. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m., and the series will wrap up with two weekend matinees, beginning at 2 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.last_img read more

DONEGAL MAN RECEIVES OFFER FROM GOVERNMENT OF BUS JOB – IN MALTA

first_imgSinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty has called on Social Protection Minister Joan Burton to clarify if it is the policy of her department to seek low paid jobs abroad for unemployed Irish people.Deputy Doherty was speaking today after being contacted by a 60-year-old constituent who had been notified by the minister’s department of a bus drivers’ job in Malta paying €250 a week.He said “I find it outrageous that a government department would ask a 60-year-old man with a mortgage to apply for a job in Malta that pays lower than the minimum wage here. If the man were to get the job he would have obvious extra costs such as rent and travel while trying to pay his mortgage at home. “Even the promise of a tan in the ‘typically Mediterranean’ climate could not make this job a viable option for this man.“Minister Burton must clarify if it is the policy of her department to seek low paid jobs abroad for unemployed Irish workers. Is the government now actively encouraging emigration?“It is my understanding that there are 200 positions available at the company referred to in the letter from the Department of Social Welfare. How many more unemployed people have been encouraged to apply for these low paid jobs?“I will be raising this issue directly with the minister at the earliest opportunity.”  DONEGAL MAN RECEIVES OFFER FROM GOVERNMENT OF BUS JOB – IN MALTA was last modified: March 27th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bus driverDeputy Pearse Dohertyjoblast_img read more