Inclusion of hazing in list of heinous crimes mulled

first_img The solon has also called for an independent investigation to be conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and National Bureau of Investigation on the incident and not just by the PMA. Cagayan de Oro 2nd District Rep. RufusRodriguez said in a television interview that Congress might define hazing as aheinous crime following the death of PMA cadet Darwin Dormitorio, who he saiddied of cardiac arrest due to internal hemorrhage. The PNP said that it was already considering as suspects the three third class cadets who were earlier identified as persons of interest in the death of Dormitorio./PN “The difference will be first they will not be eligible for good conduct time allowance. They will have to serve the entire life imprisonment that will be meted to them. Because it seems the new law last year did not deter people like in the case of the PMA,” he added. The parents of slain law freshman Horacio Castillo III over the weekend urged lawmakers to make hazing a heinous crime. “There is a possibility we will elevatethis into a heinous crime. Although right now the penalty already is reclusionperpetua plus a P3-million fine in case death occurs,” Rodriguez said in aninterview with ABS CBN News Channel. Rodriguez further said: “there is command responsibility here. A young person who wishes to become a military officer and do good service to the country. All the dreams of Darwin have died with him.” MANILA – The death of a PhilippineMilitary Academy (PMA) cadet last week in Baguio City prompted a lawmaker topush a measure including hazing in the list of “heinous crimes.” Cagayan de Oro 2nd District Rep. Rufus Rodriguez. ABS-CBN News last_img read more

Tree lighting, float contest this week in Batesville

first_imgBatesville, In. — The eighth annual Community Tree Lighting in Batesville will be held Thursday, December 7 at 5 p.m. in the Bike Park area. The tree lighting will take place at 6 p.m.Please come downtown and join mayor Mike Bettice, Santa and his reindeer and lots of holiday cheer. The event includes refreshments, music, horse-drawn carriage rides, Elfie Selfies and vendors.The Batesville Area Chamber of Commerce will still hold the Holiday Float Contest. Floats will be in downtown area, including candy for the kids.The celebration is presented by the City of Batesville, Batesville Area Chamber of Commerce, Batesville Main Street, Batesville Beautification League and Mayor’s Youth Council. Sponsors are Big Four Café, Pro-Prints, Assured Partners, Duke Energy, LaRosa’s, and Skyline. The 22ft Canaan Fir tree was donated by Sheets Tree Farm, Osgood, Indiana. The Christmas Tree at the Memorial Building is courtesy of Bohman Tree Farm.last_img read more

No Complaints

first_imgI often complain about how schools run track meets.  Some don’t have enough workers, some have little supervision, and others are disorganized.  I don’t think I will ever complain again after attending my granddaughter’s city track meet in St. Paul, Minnesota.  It was a junior high city championship.Audrey runs hurdles, and it was the first event scheduled at 10 a.m.  The announcer gave first call and the girls warmed up.  No second call came.  The next call stated “we cannot start the meet until we get 30 volunteers from the audience.”  Finally, at 11 a.m. the hurdles were run.  They then did the 50-meter dash. (There were multiple heats of this for both boys & girls.) Instead of announcing the next event it was stated that the timing system failed and all hurdles would have to be run again!  This would not have been that bad had there only been 2 or 3 heats, but there were 10 heats for both boys and girls.  Since her 2 events were over, we left.We have no idea if they finished the meet that Saturday or if they had to continue it later.  What a mess!last_img read more

Liverpool’s momentum grows in win over Swansea as stars return from injury

first_imgLiverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was pleased his side’s momentum was not blown off course as his side ground out a 1-0 win over Swansea. “Good news for the big Liverpool family,” added Klopp, whose side moved up to sixth, just six points behind leaders Manchester City whom they beat last weekend. “Two very important players for us are back in the race and they did well for their situation, where they have come from after a long break.” Under-pressure Swansea boss Garry Monk was defiant in defeat, insisting his side did not perform like a team which has won just once since the end of August. “From minute one we were excellent today, from start to finish we limited a good Liverpool side to virtually nothing, we were never in danger,” he said. “We could have done a bit more in the final third but I can’t complain at all, I feel gutted for the players who were excellent today and deserved a lot more than they got. “At the end of the day it is my responsibility for results and results haven’t been good enough in this period but that did not look like a team in trouble did it?” Monk was unhappy about the award of the penalty, which came when Neil Taylor was adjudged to have handled Jordon Ibe’s cross. “The penalty was extremely soft,” he said. “It hits his elbow, Neil is facing the other way. I thought handball had to be intentional and it clearly wasn’t but the linesman put his flag up quickly. “To lose the game on a decision which was out of our hands is extremely disappointing. “It has kind of been part of the problem in this period in that the decisions you need to go for you go against you but it isn’t an excuse. “I’m not looking for excuses. I accept full responsibility for this run of results.” Press Association The German felt the football was affected by winds gusting up to 50mph but his side recorded their first Premier League home victory since he took over – and their first at Anfield since September 26 – thanks to James Milner’s 62nd-minute penalty. “The wind was crazy because it changed all the time. For both teams it was really difficult,” said Klopp. “In this time you cannot take this game and say ‘This is how football should be’. Wind is the biggest enemy of football but we did okay. “Players can usually play better passes but it is not easy. “This wasn’t our best performance but it was our best performance in a strong wind. “It was good in many parts of the game. We played against an opponent who were very well organised. “I think it was our best game in defensive organisation. “We made the goal and defended really well. Simon Mignolet had not that much work. It was a big plus for the whole team. “We were deserved winners. In this moment we have to fight in really difficult circumstances and that is what the boys did and everyone can be proud.” Liverpool received a further confidence boost from the returns of captain Jordan Henderson, out since mid-August, and Daniel Sturridge, making his first appearance since Brendan Rodgers’ last game in charge on October 4. last_img read more

Bournemouth return to form with easy win over Norwich

first_img Dan Gosling opened the scoring for the home side with 10 minutes gone before Charlie Daniels converted from the spot shortly after half-time. Benik Afobe, Bournemouth’s record signing, then opened his account for the club following a cool finish with 15 minutes remaining. Daniels, a constant threat down Bournemouth’s left flank, was allowed to drift into the Norwich penalty area and appeared to be grappled to the floor by Russell Martin. The Canaries defender protested his innocence and referee Robert Madley waved away the home side’s appeals. Madley was back in the spotlight moments before the interval when Rudd scythed down Afobe on the edge of his own box. Harry Arter played Afobe through, and in attempting to clear the ball, Rudd took a wild swing with his right foot, before missing the ball and taking the former Wolves and Arsenal striker down with him. The home crowd chanted for a red card, but Rudd, with Sebastien Bassong and Ryan Bennett in close proximity, was shown only a yellow. Moments after the re-start and it was Madley who was once more the focus of the home support after Arter fell in the Norwich penalty area. Madley turned down his appeals and the Cherries midfielder was booked for his protests. Bournemouth, however, remained in the ascendancy and after Pugh’s header was cleared off the line by Martin, Bournemouth were finally awarded a spot-kick. Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe pulled back Pugh, and Madley had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Daniels stepped up to double Bournemouth’s advantage and it was no less than Howe’s side deserved. Afobe, in only his second appearance for Bournemouth, then completed the victory when he tapped home a fine cross from Daniels. The result takes Howe’s men above Norwich into 15th in the table with the Canaries now one point and one place below them. TWEET OF THE MATCH “Great win, fully deserved. Congrats bro on your first of many @Afobe_” – injured Bournemouth defender Tyrone Mings RATINGS BOURNEMOUTH Artur Boruc 7 Simon Francis 7 Steve Cook 7 Charlie Daniels 9 Dan Gosling 8 Andrew Surman 7 Marc Pugh 7 Harry Arter 8 Adam Smith 7 Junior Stanislas 7 Benik Afobe 8 Subs: Eunan O’Kane 5 Glenn Murray 5 Yann Kermorgant 5 NORWICH Declan Rudd 5 Ryan Bennett 5 Russell Martin 5 Sebastien Bassong 4 Jonny Howson 5 Alex Tettey 5 Wes Hoolahan 5 Matt Jarvis 5 Robbie Brady 5 Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe 4 Dieumerci Mbokani 5 Subs: Cameron Jerome 5 Nathan Redmond 5 Graham Dorrans 5 STAR PLAYER Charlie Daniels – Turned in an impressive display for Bournemouth as he bombed up and down the left flank. He scored from the penalty spot and then assisted Benik Afobe for his first goal for the club with a fine cross. MOMENT OF THE MATCH Norwich manager Alex Neil turning the air blue with an array of expletives after Sebastien Bassong asked for someone to fetch his gloves moments after the kick-off. Neil did not look impressed with Bassong’s request, but the Cameroon defender got his wish. VIEW FROM THE BENCH That was Norwich’s third defeat in as many games and Neil cut a frustrated figure in the away dugout. In contrast, Eddie Howe will be delighted with his side’s response from their second-half horror show against West Ham only five days ago. MOAN OF THE MATCH How was Declan Rudd not sent off for his foul on Afobe? The Norwich goalkeeper scythed down Bournemouth’s new signing with a horror challenge, but was only booked. Not referee Robert Madley’s finest afternoon. NEXT UP Sunderland v Bournemouth (Barclays Premier League, January 23) Norwich v Liverpool (Barclays Premier League, January 23) Both sides made one change from their midweek defeats. Bournemouth midfielder Marc Pugh came in for the injured Matt Ritchie while Gary O’Neill, sent off against Stoke, was replaced by Matt Jarvis. Lewis Grabban had been expected to feature against his former club but the forward, who re-signed for the Cherries in a £7million deal earlier this month, was said to be suffering from an illness. Bournemouth may have suffered a 3-1 home defeat against West Ham on Tuesday night, but there was no sign of any hangover for Howe’s side. Indeed it was the south coast club – on a winless run of four matches heading into Saturday’s fixture – who came flying out of the blocks. Afobe fizzed a 20-yard effort over Declan Rudd’s bar with only two minutes gone, before Junior Stanislas’ deflected shot then fell into the hands of the grateful Norwich goalkeeper. Bournemouth have gained a reputation as fast-starters – having scored six goals inside the opening 15 minutes which is more than any other Premier League club – and with 10 minutes on the clock they increased that tally to seven. Gosling ghosted unmarked into the Norwich area before Marc Pugh’s pinpoint cross was headed home by the former Everton midfielder. It was Gosling’s third league goal of the campaign and no less than the home side deserved for their early endeavour. Gosling’s curling left-footed effort then went narrowly wide of Rudd’s right post before Bournemouth probably should have been given the chance to extend their lead from 12 yards. Bournemouth recorded the biggest win of their short Barclays Premier League tenure after cruising to a 3-0 victory against Norwich. Press Associationlast_img read more

98-year-old Prince Philip admitted to hospital with pre-existing condition, Palace confirms

first_imgThe Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital with a pre-existing condition, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.In a statement, the palace said: “The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition. The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’ Doctor.”It is understood the Duke has been under the weather for some time and concerns were raised when he developed a bad cold in recent weeks.He is expected to remain at the private hospital in Marylebone for a few days. He was not taken by ambulance and it was a planned admission.The Duke has not been seen in public since May, when he was pictured at the wedding of Lady Gabriella Windsor and Thomas Kingston.The 98-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth is expected to be in the hospital for a few days.His admission today came as the Queen arrived in Norfolk to begin her annual Christmas break.last_img read more

Indian Premier League WATCH – AB de Villiers hits a one-handed six out of the M Chinnaswamy stadium

first_imgHardus Viljoen conceded 27 runs in the final over with de Villiers and Stoinis both playing some attacking cricket and Royal Challengers Bangalore reached 202/4 at the end of 20 overs. De Villiers 82 off 44 balls included three fours and seven sixes and despite an aggressive knock from Nicholas Pooran, Kings XI Punjab lost by 17 runs with Umesh Yadav taking 3/36 and Navdeep Saini taking 2/33.De Villiers won the Man of the Match award and speaking after the end of the match, the right-hander said, “I tried to stay calm in the last few overs. It is not easy always, the game is happening at a rapid pace. We know our home ground very well, it hasn’t been a great hunting ground for us to start with but we are turning things around now. And we are doing things well now. We are doing well as a team now. I still think 160 was a par score but it gets easier in the second innings,” de Villiers said.Royal Challengers Bangalore’s next game will be against Delhi Capitals at the Feroz Shah Kotla and a win will keep their playoff hopes alive. highlights AB de Villiers blasted his fifth fifty in IPL 2019.Royal Challengers Bangalore are still in the hunt for the playoffs.Royal Challengers Bangalore will face Delhi Capitals at the Feroz Shah Kotla. New Delhi: AB de Villiers is considered a freak when it comes to cricket. Dubbed Mr.360 for his ability to hit any kind of stroke on any side of the wicket, the South Africa batsman is an asset to any side he represents, be it South Africa or Royal Challengers Bangalore. During their clash against Kings XI Punjab, de Villiers showed why he is the ultimate legend as he rescued Royal Challengers Bangalore from a precarious position against Ravichandran Ashwin’s side. Royal Challengers Bangalore were reeling at 81/4 in the 10th over when de Villiers was joined by Marcus Stoinis out in the middle.De Villiers and Stoinis stitched a solid stand and towards the end overs, both batsmen cut loose and tore into the Kings XI Punjab bowling. The 19th over, bowled by Mohammed Shami, witnessed carnage as de Villiers blasted two consecutive sixes and put Royal Challengers Bangalore on course for 200. On the fifth ball, the thousands of fans at the stadium witnessed a freak act. Shami bowled a waist-high full toss and de Villiers was surprised by the height. The batsman took his eyes off the ball but swung the bat hard with one hand, the connection was good and the ball sailed outside the stadium for a big six. For all the Latest Sports News News, Indian Premier League News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

AFCON 2019: Rohr Dismisses Favourite Tag for Eagles

first_imgRohr said though the Super Eagles have improved since their outing at the last World Cup in Russia, a lot of work still needs to be done.“We have to work, we have young players in the team, most of them new in the team.“It is not easy to go to a major tournament and win, most especially when we don’t have a player playing in the champions league.“However, we have a big chance to go far at AFCON in Egypt, because since the last World Cup, I see the team has improved.“So, I am very optimistic that we will do very well and challenge for the cup, but the main favourites are Egypt and Morocco.“Morocco are currently number one in Africa going by the latest FIFA ranking. Also, Egypt will be playing at home, with a large home crowd behind them.On his expectations from the Sychelles game, the Franco- German soccer tactician said he expects the Super Eagles to defeat the Pirates of Seychelles.He said the game against Seychelles is a very important game for the Super Eagles, most especially as they want to top the group.“We want to have the highest goal-scorer in the AFCON qualifier, we also want to top the group.“So, the match against Seychelles is very important to us,” Rohr concluded.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Gernot Rohr Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohr, has said that Nigeria’s national team is not favourites to lift the AFCON 2019 tournament which kicks off on June 21 in Egypt.Rohr made the disclosure on Friday at a pre-match news conference in Asaba ahead of the Nigeria/Seychelles AFCON qualifier billed for the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba.NAN reports that Rohr was responding to a comment credited to Moroccan national team coach, Herve Renard, who tipped Nigeria and Senegal as favourites to lift AFCON 2019.last_img read more

Joshua-Ruiz Rematch Set for New York or Cardiff

first_imgAnthony Joshua A west coast city in the US has also made a late offer to stage the contest.Two other unnamed countries have also bid for the fight.Joshua’s team were keen to finalise a date for the bout last week but the offers from new countries have delayed them in confirming Cardiff or New York.The financial packages put forward in the late bids were lucrative enough to merit discussions, though there is concern the countries in question do not hold a substantial track record in staging high-profile boxing events.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr looks set to take place in New York in November or Cardiff in December.Joshua, 29, lost his IBF, WBA and WBO world titles to Ruiz in New York on 1 June and invoked his contractual right to a rematch.Dates have been fixed at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium on 14 December or a return to Madison Square Garden on 29 November.last_img read more